Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Transaxle stuck in gear...shift lever in neutral!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 08:13 PM
FastHackem
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Transaxle stuck in gear...shift lever in neutral!!

I just put a used transaxle from an '86 944na into my '83 944 and the car acts as though it is in first gear when the shift lever is in neutral position. I cannot select any gears forward or reverse but the lever does move side to side normally. I read a similar post in the 928 section, https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...osis-help.html, and was wondering if anyone had any input. All of the bolts on the shifter mechanism are in the correct location and tightened accordingly. The wheels stop spinning when the clutch is depressed but with the pedal out, the drivers side wheel spins and the engine will die upon applying the brake which leads me to believe a gear is selected. I have waited 13 years to replace this transaxle so you can guess how much of a bummer it was to have this new issue arrise.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:41 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

take the shift boot off and see if the shift rod is still connected to the shifter
Old 01-02-2010, 02:42 PM
FastHackem
Track Day

Well the shift boot hasn't been re-installed yet due to the fact that the tranny swap was a letdown. So yes the shift rod is still connected to the shift lever and every other part is connected properly along the shifting mechanism.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:10 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

you might have to adjust either the shift rod on the linkage of the new transmission or adjust the shift linkage on the transmission itself. if front a back is a problem sounds like the shift rod that runs to the shifter lever is either too far forward or backward. if side to side is not right or not centered it is likely the actual linkage on the transmission. also check to see if you tightened the bolt that holds the shift rod to the transmission when the tranny was in 1st gear and now is too short to get to anything on the back side, i.e. 2nd, 4th and reverse.

Last edited by 35thSLP; 01-16-2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: re-read original post

Quick Reply: Transaxle stuck in gear...shift lever in neutral!!