944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

1986 944 fluid leak at mcdonalds

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 04:00 PM
bbrandon567
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 944 fluid leak at mcdonalds

so i was at mcdonalds in the drive thru, ordered my food and as i went to pull out the drive thru there was a jump and i started seeing smoke and hearing a hissing sound. i immediately turned the car off and pushed it into a parking spot.

the liquid that leaked was kind of clearish brown and felt kind of smooth. a little bit more gritty than oil when i rubbed it against my fingers. i think it brake fluid but im not sure where to look to find the leak. i turned the car on and pushed the brake pedal and dont see a leak. so i dont know what it is.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:11 PM
metal144
Advanced

If it's reddish brown it could be tranny fluid
Old 12-22-2009, 04:18 PM
bbrandon567
Track Day

no its not reddish brown. its more clearish. it kind of looks like new oil somewhat, but its def not oil. but i just looked under the car and on the drivers side, on the CV joint (i think) theres some red drips and i think that could be transmission fuid. what do you think could be the cause of a transmission leak?
Old 12-22-2009, 04:53 PM
bbrandon567
Track Day

is it normal to keep having to put radiator fluid in your cars? for some reason its like my car drinks it, i dont see any leaks so i dont know if its a problem.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:09 PM
phil823
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had the same issue with my radiator losing fluid! it was a hose clamp that was not making a good seal. it only leaked at pressure meaning it only leaked when it was actively running and at driving speed. a new clamps fixed it!

i would go to autozone and rent a pressure tester, they charge you and then you return it for NO fee. test and look for leaks, its take all of 20 min. i would also pull your spark plugs and look to see if they are "steam cleaned"
Old 12-30-2009, 04:21 PM
CorsePerVita
Pro

If it has the viscosity of oil and is fairly gritty and is a clear brown it sounds to me more like power steering. You can tell if it's the tranny by just hopping under the car and visual inspection, but smoke and everything sounds unlikely if it's the tranny. Front of the car? Or rear of the car?

and no, you should NOT be going through coolant.....If you're losing coolant it's going somewhere.

If you're getting small drips on the REAR of the car near the CV joints you likely have some bad seals, they're a simple fix, but it'll require you to actually drop the CV joints and replace the seals, and do a tranny flush as well since you'll pour fluid all over if you drop the seals without draining the fluid first.

As to the coolant, it goes somewhere. It's either leaking and steaming off on the engine somewhere, or it's part of a failed head gasket, a leaking radiator, or a heater core, but it's going /somewhere/ since it is a sealed system and thus should have no issues.

Although i will say that from time to time if you go uphill and have your coolant fairly high in content and high in pressure it can sometimes kick it out under the full mark on your reservoir. But it shouldn't continue to drop and drop and drop.

This is your 944s way of saying to stop spending money at mcdonalds and spend more on the car :P
Old 01-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Liftedbronco
Advanced

thats funny I have both problems on my 84. The fluid is coming from the rack. My fluid changes color quickly in the resevoir. i think my rack needs to be flushed badly. Plus id been using power steering fluid (gee what a fool) rather than ATF. So keep in mind your car may have ATF in it.

As to the coolant....i lose a little too and its been ever since i replaced my water pump. Could be mixing wiht the oil a tiny bit...less than i can see. Could be leaking and burning before i can see it (as stated above) but i dont smell it....

Quick Reply: 1986 944 fluid leak at mcdonalds