Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 06:01 AM
stefon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 968 intake manifold on 944 s2

Hello,

Well just a little question about 968 intake manifold
does it have more hp of mounting a 968 intake manifold on a stock 944 s2 ?
and with a maf system ?

Many Thanks
Old 06-30-2009, 11:41 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

The MAF system should improve things in any vehicle that has an AFM albeit only slightly - throttle response is the most noticable. The 968 manifold has runner extension and a butterfly valve to switch between long/short with low and high RPM's. If you could wire it up right you should benifit with more torque at lower RPM's - however that manifold was designed to work in conjuction with the 968's variocam so it might screw things up running without it on an S2....

Do a before and after test and try it!
Old 07-03-2009, 09:00 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

couple of corrections:
The 968 manifolds do not have run extensions or any butterfly valves. The runners are fixed lenght and the intake is one solid cast piece with no moving parts (save a couple of tread in plugs and pressed in hose barbs).
It is, what is called a dual resonance intake. This has to do with its shape and the additional tube that runs from behind the throttle body to the plenumns reverse side.
It will bolt directly onto a S2 head, but the 968 has larger intake runners, so there will be an abrupt diameter change at the head. However, there is enough material on the S2 head to port match to the 968 runner profile.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:03 PM
MacinTek
Racer

Okay... I'm sticking with the stock manifold. I had to transfer the throttle linkage from the 944S2 throttle body to the 968 throttle body (the throttle position sensor is different and won't fit the stock one)
So far, I've had to replace 944S2 parts with the following 968 parts due to electrical or mechanical differences:
Throttle Body and linkage, Idle stabilizer, main engine wire harness, DME and of course the AFM for the MAF.
Now, question... my intake manifold, which has 170K miles of gunk inside of it needs cleaning. What's the best way to do this?
Old 07-12-2009, 07:03 PM
MacinTek
Racer

Okay... I'm sticking with the stock manifold. I had to transfer the throttle linkage from the 944S2 throttle body to the 968 throttle body (the throttle position sensor is different and won't fit the stock one)
So far, I've had to replace 944S2 parts with the following 968 parts due to electrical or mechanical differences:
Throttle Body and linkage, Idle stabilizer, main engine wire harness, DME and of course the AFM for the MAF.
Now, question... my intake manifold, which has 170K miles of gunk inside of it needs cleaning. What's the best way to do this?
Old 07-13-2009, 11:52 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You'll get the best results by bringing it to an engine shop to get hot tanked or steam cleaned (or whatever else that particular shop might use). I've done this with a few parts over the years and the price to convenience ratio is more than worth it. On top of that, it will be much cleaner than if you did it yourself.
If you're stead fast on doing it yourself, plan on many hours with simple green and brushes. Those long brushes for cleaning wheels are perfect for the runners, but good luck getting plenum completely clean.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:39 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I used a toothbrush, a few cans of carb/choke cleaner, a little tub of gasoline and about an hour. It's not perfectly clean, but every part I can see is bright silver so at least I feel better about it. If you want it perfect, like fortysixandtwo said, just take it to a place with a parts cleaner.

Quick Reply: 968 intake manifold on 944 s2