Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

What have you done to your 944 S2 Cabriolet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:01 AM
wcfrog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What have you done to your 944 S2 Cabriolet?

I haven't seen a thread specifically for the cab owner so I thought we should get one going. I have a 1991 Black on Black that I bought last fall and am in the process of cleaning it up. My plan is to keep it as stock as possible but upgrading things like suspension and engine components.
Its my sunny day weekend toy that we drive around to the vineyards in Northern VA.
I would love to see and hear what other cabbie owners are doing to theirs. For example: Pictures, modifications, lessons learned, etc. I will get my pictures posted later tonight.
The following users liked this post:
RobertSmith (07-04-2019)
Old 02-26-2009, 02:40 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

mine's in the paintshop at the moment. after that, new top. i've done quite a bit (big reds/xdrilled rotorsx4/konis/968mo30sways/etc.), but once i have some pics to post i will. long term is motor "enhancement".

would love to see a specific cab thread...can even include 944 S3's.

-frederick
'90S2cab blk/blk
Old 02-26-2009, 10:27 PM
wcfrog
Instructor

I hope you are sticking with black. look forward to hearing what you think of the paint job. I may have the front end re-sprayed on mine and I need a top as well. I want to do engine and suspension work first though.
I'm taking it into the shop Saturday to get the laundry list of what needs to be done. After that I'm looking forward to some wrenching parties to get this thing dialed in.
Maybe we should try the other water-cooled forum?????? Thought I'd try this one first.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:57 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Turboed it. Youre in northern virginia? Where?
Old 02-27-2009, 12:58 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Mine is pretty stock except for the wheels you see shown in my avatar.

I've had it for seven years and have put about 10k miles on it per year, so it's at about 155k now.

Although mine appears as black in the pictures it's actually a charcoal grey metallic color.

As for any lessons learned, well just feel free to ask as I've had this car for a while so have experienced quite a bit. But as a whole it's been a great vehicle and very reliable as well. (Mine has been used as a daily driver for the past 4 1/2 years)
Old 02-27-2009, 08:56 AM
wcfrog
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rock
Turboed it. Youre in northern virginia? Where?
Gainseville/Haymarket area
Old 02-27-2009, 10:01 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

frog nice idea

can I shamlessly plug mine

lots of info and projects and fixes on mind

http://www.playback.demon.co.uk/porsche/porschemenu.htm
Old 02-27-2009, 10:37 AM
wcfrog
Instructor

Adrian,
Your info is exactly what I was looking for in this thread. Nice stuff. As us new cab owners get going we will hopefully have a single thread for references, ideas and contact info.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:39 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

My cab is a 90, white/blue. It is in overall very nice condition especially the interior. I have put adjustable Konis on all four corners, 250lb springs up front, 30mm and 19mm sway bars, BK fire extinguisher mount, and a ton of maintenance. I have an Autopower roll bar that I need to get painted and powder coasted then installed and I want to get some Sparco seats in as well.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:47 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Glad I could help,

I like the idea of an S2 cab thread, jus keep buming and keep it alive.

ask any questions and I'll try an help

also I've got an egroup:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/notjustporsche/

Originally Posted by wcfrog
Adrian,
Your info is exactly what I was looking for in this thread. Nice stuff. As us new cab owners get going we will hopefully have a single thread for references, ideas and contact info.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:30 PM
wcfrog
Instructor

jsindc,
We've talked about detailing my car but could you help with engine work as well?
Old 02-28-2009, 09:51 AM
wcfrog
Instructor

Looks like there aren't as many cab owners as I was hoping.
Anyways, I've read a lot about sway bar, shocks, and all the other upgrades people are putting on their cars. I like the idea of putting quality parts on my
S2 but again its just a weekend street car and not a track car. With that said, what does everyone recommend I do with this stock Cab?
Old 03-02-2009, 06:23 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

I'm in 3 camps,

1> keep original: no problems last's and looks cool

2> slightly modded: generally looks wise. Jon Van on here has a spanking s2 cab, really nice.

3> go wild: again pull out all the stops.

Problem with the S2, to get any real gains engine power takes big bucks, Porsche really did get every once of BHP outta your baby, unless you look at turbos/super chargers etc.

Also there is the safety and longevity aspect of tuning.

Best mods mainly with handling/braking/in car/bodywork

Also the cabs are a lot heavier than there coupe' brothers.

I used to mod a lot of my old cars (Ford CApri Range) bought them standard and maxed them up.

Always had problems one thing effected another

with the 44, as close to standard (engine wise) and have never had a problem

I now respect a lot of the people who mod there cars (where as before I was more a OEM geek) shows like "American Hotrod" and the other US one show, really turned me around.

If only I had the wokshop to do that stuff and (in the UK) not get screwed by insurance companies for MODS, maybe I would.

Looks like there aren't as many cab owners as I was hoping.
Anyways, I've read a lot about sway bar, shocks, and all the other upgrades people are putting on their cars. I like the idea of putting quality parts on my
S2 but again its just a weekend street car and not a track car. With that said, what does everyone recommend I do with this stock Cab?
Old 03-02-2009, 12:17 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

If it is for the street use only I would keep stock and replace parts as needed except for maintenance items which should be done regularly. My cab was fine for the street with stock suspension that had 78K miles on it. I only upgraded because I use mine for autocross. It sounds like you should be investing in maintenance and cosmetic items. Why spend $5K in suspension work added wear on your tires if you really don't need it.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:32 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope you are sticking with black. look forward to hearing what you think of the paint job. I may have the front end re-sprayed on mine and I need a top as well. I want to do engine and suspension work first though.
I'm taking it into the shop Saturday to get the laundry list of what needs to be done. After that I'm looking forward to some wrenching parties to get this thing dialed in.
Maybe we should try the other water-cooled forum?????? Thought I'd try this one first.
mr. frog

i am sticking with black. jet black to be exact. it's been a journey of an almost 2 year paintjob. but in the end, i believe i'll be happy. i'm surprised to see the responses from local cab owners. i've had my car for almost 12 years and i've only seen 3 others in person during that time.

i've only had the new brakes/suspension pieces on it for a couple of weeks before it went into the paintshop so i haven't had many miles on it. for the quick runs i had in the car it was a big difference. of course it did have all original pieces before that so any swap would have been good. the BR brakes are unreal. i look forward to having it back soon. there's a set of wheels that have been patiently waiting their chance to be run in.

hope to join rock's boost club one of these days...

Quick Reply: What have you done to your 944 S2 Cabriolet?