Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

What have you done to your 944 S2 Cabriolet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 08:20 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Banks,
Can't contribute S2 cab stuff since I don't have one, but I know a guy out here in the S.CA desert who has 15+ 914 laying around his lot.
Probably has anything you could imagine. I saw them all, lots of stuff there...I don't know 914s so I don't know what I was looking at specifically.

Nice guy...I got 928 stuff from him a while back.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/5776767812.html
Old 09-16-2016, 11:44 PM
Dr Feelgood
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just figured I'd add my two cents. Here is my 1991 S2 cabrio. Just kept it stock and been doing repairs and restore projects. Had it for about 6 years now.
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2016, 03:42 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i changed my shift **** again, but haven't taken a pic of it yet. In the process of changing all of my a/c system seals and finally getting a/c back in the car again. heater core started leaking again, have to pull it. lastly, hoping to change out valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket and maybe motor mounts while i'm in there. if i get all of that done before november, i'll be satisfied and pick up other repairs next spring.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:06 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Culture, can you tell me what you had to purchase to do your AC system seals. Is there a kit somewhere?

Mine is leaking and I need to do that job. I can charge the system and it will work for about 2 weeks and then its gone.

Other updates on my car:

Been running like a top all summer. Small oil leak from the oil cooler that I thought I had fixed last year with new O-Rings but I guess it didn't. May get a new bolt and re-tighten the hose connections to see if that solves it. If not I have another cooler that I will try to see if the leak is the cooler and not the hose connections.

Oh Yah and last week I went over a construction site auper slow but still managed to rip my splitter right off the car. Its in multiple pieces and going in the garbage. Planning on just reinstalling the batwing. I like the look of the splitter but its just too hard to live with on Montreal's hell roads. Going to have to get creative to mount it as the holes on the bumper on both sides near the wheels were ripped off with the splitter.

Regards

Mark
Old 09-20-2016, 04:24 PM
geno
Advanced

Unloaded it off the trailer and confirmed bent valves.

Battery box rust prevention, 17z brake conversion, and some 8j and 11j Sport Technos in the next week weeks.
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2016, 10:02 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mhr
Culture, can you tell me what you had to purchase to do your AC system seals. Is there a kit somewhere?
I went on autoatlanta.com and looked at the schematic and ordered every seal i saw in the system. i think about seven but maybe a couple more. I also ordered new schrader valves from oriely's auto parts to try and cover all my bases. the only thing left to leak or fail would be the evaporator and being as though that's behind the dash, well, i hope i don't have to deal with it.

I haven't changed them all yet because i've been too busy enjoying driving the car. But i'll get to it soon.

Let me know your experience and I'll post mine when i get it done.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:37 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by culture
I went on autoatlanta.com and looked at the schematic and ordered every seal i saw in the system. i think about seven but maybe a couple more. I also ordered new schrader valves from oriely's auto parts to try and cover all my bases. the only thing left to leak or fail would be the evaporator and being as though that's behind the dash, well, i hope i don't have to deal with it.

I haven't changed them all yet because i've been too busy enjoying driving the car. But i'll get to it soon.

Let me know your experience and I'll post mine when i get it done.
thanks for that I'm goin to do this over the winter for sure. I got a black light and am going to try and narrow down the leak before I just change it all.

At this point like you I'm driving it and enjoying it. AC season has pretty much passed here anyway.

Thanks
Mark
Old 10-04-2016, 12:15 AM
geno
Advanced

Finally got rubber on my Techno sports and slapped them on. I'm elated. 245/35 on 8j 285/30 on 11j.
Attached Images   
Old 10-31-2016, 05:47 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Geno, we need more and better pictures!

I've been playing with my new 3D printer.

Ninjaflex

TDC bell housing sensor and window plugs
Brake line bushings

The printer is running right now making my first Porsche crest coaster.
I have no real need for a coaster but I needed an excuse to make something else with the new toy.
Attached Images   
Old 10-31-2016, 05:55 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Put mine to bed for the winter

Oh we'll have a rusty Jeep TJ in the garage I'm going to work on this winter. Should keep me busy!

Mark
Old 11-01-2016, 02:28 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

been working on my new pickup truck so the Pcar has been getting neglected. just finished replacing all the a/c seals. hoping to vacuum it down and recharge by the weekend. then put in another heater core as the repair i did on my last one failed. may try to fix my climate control unit too with a new potentiometer.

next spring will bring front wheel bearings and ball joints.

decided to hold off on all of the motor gaskets, etc until i get the motor rebuilt so i'll just have to live with the oil drip. maybe next winter. have to buy a house first.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:24 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by culture
have to buy a house first.

Don't do it!!!!

Those things are a money pit. They will seriously cut into your parts budget.
Get your priorities straight.
The following users liked this post:
Qtrfoil (05-21-2020)
Old 11-02-2016, 03:17 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

wonderful advice. i'll be sure to pass it along as evidence in making my case.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:22 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

after years, i finally have a/c again. replaced all of the seals and a new drier and recharged it with dust-off (HCF152). it works great and no leaks.

also, it may sound dumb but i finally found a good repair for my a/c slider ****. the inside tabs had broken off a long time ago and i tried all kind of things to make it stay on. i had an idea of using a piece of clear tubing to slide over the slider and stuck the **** on it. it worked and will not come off without me actually pulling it off.

nothing like fixing things that have been wrong for so long, you just got used to it. this week, i change out the heater core, then it's prob begin put away till the spring.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:50 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

I designed and 3D printed this and then redesigned it without the cutout near the top.

It is a sleeve for the VAG 2.0 coil packs that will be going into my car(eventually/hopefully/someday)

The rubber sleeves that come on the coil packs have two small extensions on each side that barely touch the sides of the plug holes and do nothing to keep debris out of the plug holes.

These sleeves fully support the coil packs and block all debris from entering the plug holes.

The only thing that is worrying me is the temperature that the plug holes may see while the engine is running. Does anyone know how hot the holes get?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: What have you done to your 944 S2 Cabriolet?