Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

What have you done to your 944 S2 Cabriolet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 01:35 PM
1933beer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1933beer
this is true, keep it up. my bmw has a cloth that I put in place to protect the window from rubbing. ( it has a hard top I use in the winter so it stays down for 5 months) I would love to have it for the Porsche. I have replaced my top and only leave the top down when driving for the most part. After 3 years ( or is it 4) I still have a small rub in one part of my window. If you could find a way to hold the cloth in place it is a great idea and would protect it. I should see if the cover for the BMW could be modified to work. they are available cheap.
I did confirm that the cloth will fit. I would only use it if your top is manual because how the strap wants to go where the side piller splits( folds). but would provide coverage from rubbing.

I do like the noodle idea. one of the reasons I replaced my top is because I had a small crack in the right corner where the window creases.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:02 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon951
I also bought a pool noodle, great suggestion AZ

In honor of my 1990 S2 cab rolling over 150,000 miles today, we did the tail of the dragon. 318 turns in 11 miles. Deals Gap
done it on my sports bike, but never a car. at least you could listen to music.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:05 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mhr
Always something!

Mark
ain't that the truth!
Old 05-11-2016, 02:09 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by culture
ain't that the truth!
Painfully SO!

I took the transmission apart today for a nice easy replacement of the synchros and the 5th gear set.

WRONG!!!!!!!

Two teeth on the pinion gear are chipped and one tooth on third gear on the input shaft is chipped as well. :banghe ad:

Now I have to figure out where to pick up those parts for an AOR transmission before I can put it all back together.

I expect that changing the pinion gear shaft will require setting the pinion preload and pinion depth which means I need to pick up the correct tools to measure those two things.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:43 PM
EliteThink
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ug, sorry.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:58 AM
culture
Rennlist Member

i'll give you credit for digging in that deep. at least your experiences will be a part of documented history for all future cab owners.

I've got a space issue at the moment so that is holding up any work i need to do. maintenance could get sidelined till next year.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:02 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Working on the transmission.

Forget the "what's in your wallet" commercials, the bigger question is what is in your shop?

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.

Yes, they are the real deal. JS drove the top one twice in 73 on his way to the F1 championship and Denny Hulme drove the bottom one on the way to second place in the 72 Can-Am championship.
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2016, 05:33 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by azbanks
Working on the transmission.

Forget the "what's in your wallet" commercials, the bigger question is what is in your shop?

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.

Yes, they are the real deal. JS drove the top one twice in 73 on his way to the F1 championship and Denny Hulme drove the bottom one on the way to second place in the 72 Can-Am championship.
That is cool amazing what is tucked away in garages and shops all over the place.

What about the other two. Is that the mellow yellow car from days of Thunder or Kyle petty or a tribute?
Old 05-19-2016, 07:36 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mhr
That is cool amazing what is tucked away in garages and shops all over the place.

What about the other two. Is that the mellow yellow car from days of Thunder or Kyle petty or a tribute?
The top one is a formula Atlantic and the bottom one is a former/real Mello Yellow nascar racer but I have no idea who drove it,

there a a whole lot of other cars in this place but they don't have interesting histories.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:21 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

I'm buying the transmission parts this week and sending everything off for a proper build.

I bought my car a companion. It is a 914 project. It is really ugly but the bones are really solid.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:58 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

The transmission parts should be here in a few days, then it is off to the rebuilder.

Here is the new 914 after a bit of cleanup. Still a long way to go.
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2016, 05:13 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

watching my dad continuously start new projects without finishing hardly any of them, i am terrified to take on new projects until i finish the one i'm on.

you clearly don't have that problem. enjoy the 914. autoatlanta are big into them and prob have plenty of parts and know-how on those cars. which motor?
Old 07-25-2016, 02:54 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by culture
watching my dad continuously start new projects without finishing hardly any of them, i am terrified to take on new projects until i finish the one i'm on.

you clearly don't have that problem. enjoy the 914. autoatlanta are big into them and prob have plenty of parts and know-how on those cars. which motor?
I'm thinking seriously about selling it to fund parts for the S2. If I do keep it I will not be buying anything from Auto Atlanta. They have a multi-decade bad reputation with most people who work on/with 914s. I don't know how they stay in business.

it does not have a motor at this point. The original was a 1.7 but I'm not sure what I would put in it.

I put some primer on to keep the surface rust to a minimum while I figure out what I'm going to do.
Attached Images   
Old 07-25-2016, 09:36 AM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Drove next to a nice 914 last week. Very cool car makes our cars look space aged. I wish I had the space, time and $$ to get one!
Old 09-16-2016, 06:06 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Chirp, chirp, chirp.

Nothing but crickets.

Anyone out there?

Quick Reply: What have you done to your 944 S2 Cabriolet?