Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

What have you done to your 944 S2 Cabriolet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:10 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:33 PM
beater
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

new dash? repair? do tell, I would give my dash a 7/10, but it does have 2 small cracks.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:01 AM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by beater
new dash? repair? do tell, I would give my dash a 7/10, but it does have 2 small cracks.
I purchased a totally crack free dash from a 968 of a renlister over the winter. The only problem was the bottom was grey but I changed it to black with SEM colour coat and it looks great.

Swap was quite trouble free. I noticed tonight that it is a bit low on the passenger side and doesn't quite line up with the window switch panels on the door but I think I will leave it alone for the summer and drive.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:13 PM
wcfrog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=mhr;9373129]Actually I got the shelf out just by pulling. 4 or 5 snaps hold it in place. Didn't take pictures sorry.

The snaps are the same as ones you would see on door panels and are usual pretty brittle. Once you have them loose be careful pulling the shelf out as well as putting it back in. Its a tight fit so you want to make sure its not pushing on the top and possibly ripping it. I was able to reuse some of the snaps but you can get new ones at stores / dealers.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:57 PM
Wahooz
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default manual top conversion?

Hi, been looking for a DIY for converting the electric top to manual operation only...can't seem to find any. Can anyone point me to a site or link on how to do this? Top works great in elec mode currently, but just afraid of snapping a main bow if the motors ever get out of sync...plus, I think it'll be quicker for me to manually raise and lower the roof. thx in advance
Old 03-21-2012, 10:16 AM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wahooz
Hi, been looking for a DIY for converting the electric top to manual operation only...can't seem to find any. Can anyone point me to a site or link on how to do this? Top works great in elec mode currently, but just afraid of snapping a main bow if the motors ever get out of sync...plus, I think it'll be quicker for me to manually raise and lower the roof. thx in advance
I will take a picture of what mine looks like and it will be self explanatory.

2 or 4 bolts to remove. That is it.

The top bolts attaching the transmissions to the bows can be detached without removing any trim pieces.

If you want to remove the bottom bolts into the transmissions that also allows you to remove the arms as was done with mine and is cleaner, this can probably be accomplished through the holes that allow for emergency manual operation but is probably easier if the rear trim is removed.

Will post pictures of how mine looks tonight.

Mark
Old 03-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Wahooz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mhr
I will take a picture of what mine looks like and it will be self explanatory.

Mark
That would be awesome...thanks a ton
Old 03-24-2012, 11:20 PM
1933beer
Instructor

iam interested in this as well. I will be replacing my top when I resprsy this summer a d plan tochang to mannual so I don't have to worry. Also would like to be sent in the right direction of a how to tips on top replacement and advise on who to buy from.

thanks
Old 03-25-2012, 10:14 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gave it a bath, and drove with the top down today. Awesome for March in Kansas
Old 03-29-2012, 11:29 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wahooz
That would be awesome...thanks a ton
sorry took so long life gets in the way some times. Here are pictures of the bows and you will notice where there is nothing connected. As you can see my bows can use some refinishing. Always something left to do.

I also threw in a picture of my newly redone dash all the plastic refinished and spiffy crack free dash.
Attached Images    
Old 03-30-2012, 12:04 AM
Wahooz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mhr
sorry took so long life gets in the way some times. Here are pictures of the bows and you will notice where there is nothing connected. As you can see my bows can use some refinishing. Always something left to do.

I also threw in a picture of my newly redone dash all the plastic refinished and spiffy crack free dash.
No worries...appreciate you taking the time to shoot some pics...they're just what I needed. Thanks again!
Old 03-30-2012, 01:42 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Replaced the failed coil and drove around with the top down.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:43 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

added an Alpine AM/FM CD w/bluetooth. Seems to work great with the top up. Will have to see if folks can hear me with the top down
Old 04-18-2012, 09:35 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Replaced a couple of the speakers in the door. The originals had lost all the foam surround around the cone.

The originals are special 2X2 speakers that do seem to be available anywhere besides the dealer. I had to do a bunch of cutting and a LOT of filing to get the new ones to fit and look somewhat normal.
Attached Images    
Old 04-24-2012, 04:49 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

You know the little lever you put on the bolt head to lock the convertible top to the windshield header. There are supposed to be little plastic covers/surrounds around the little bolt heads. I want to buy new plastic covers/surrounds. I can not find them in the PET. The part number on the back is V-67XQ-4216-CXXX or V_67XQ_4216_CXXX.

Does anyone have any leads on where I could buy these plastic covers?

Quick Reply: What have you done to your 944 S2 Cabriolet?