Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Removing PORSCHE decal from back of car - any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 12:33 PM
kdjones2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing PORSCHE decal from back of car - any ideas?

Hi all,

I have been lurking here for a while now, looking through all of the great info/cars on the site.

One thing I have not found is a process on the easiest way to remove the PORSCHE decal from the back of the car. Mine is all cracked and ugly, and I have a brand new one to make it beautiful again

I have tried a hairdryer with a plastic spatula, and while this worked well for the rock guards, it is not nearly as effective on the decal. I am a bit worried about using a heat gun, as the tail lights are just above this area.

Suggestions appreciated!

Cheers,

Keith
Old 09-28-2007, 01:37 PM
ekeeton
Instructor

Have you tried 3M adhesive remover or Goof-Off? I've never removed the rear decal but either of those will usually unstick just about anything that sticks on.

If that doesn't work you can ask over in the Concours and Car Care forum. Somebody there will know exactly what you need.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:28 AM
rickb20
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default try an eraser wheel

see subject. you should be able to get one at any paint and body supply shop.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:13 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a "pin-stripe eraser" should do the job. It is a thick disc bit you use on your whizzer-wheel if you have one and is intended for removing pin-stripes and other decals on the paint.

http://inpcars.com/body-repair-tools...eumatic-kx.jpg
Old 09-29-2007, 10:41 AM
kdjones2000
Instructor

Wouldn't that hurt the paint, or is the wheel made of a soft material (eraser, I guess)?

Thanks for the help, guys.

Keith

PS: I got an eraser wheel and some decal remover. Will work on removing this decal once it gets back from having the front end repainted....

Last edited by kdjones2000; 10-01-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:08 PM
bluedevil
Instructor

Cheap trick I used was a hair dryer and a plactic tool or a credit card. You heat the sticker up and then lightly chip away at the sticker with a credit card or a platic edged kind of item. It is slow but in the end you will have the item off and no scratch marks on the car. the key is to GO SLOW.
Other wise use the 3M product list above, it works well and you should not hurt the paint unless you let is sit.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:44 PM
rickb20
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldn't that hurt the paint, or is the wheel made of a soft material (eraser, I guess)?
Like anything else, when using this method you have to also exercise caution and common sense. In other words, don't hold the wheel in the same place for 5 minutes or you'll remove paint too. After getting the decal off you'll want to use a degreaser or some goo gone to get the remants of adhesive off.

I just used an eraser wheel on my wife's Acura this past weekend to remove all sorts of smudges and marks left by other drivers' car doors. Works great.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:41 PM
bluedevil
Instructor

Amazing how most things come down to common sence. Almost everthing should have a sticker saying "If common sense is used then this will work for you". I think the world would be a better place.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:11 PM
kdjones2000
Instructor

I tried the hairdryer/plastic spatula method, and was able to get about 2" of it off after like 30-45min. I gave up then.....

I get the car back this weekend, so I will try both options and see how it goes.

Thanks for the inputs, guys!

Cheers,

Keith
Old 10-14-2007, 01:41 PM
kdjones2000
Instructor

Well, I finally got around to doing this project yesterday.

I use the Eraser Wheel to remove the bulk of the decal, and then some decal remover to take off the adhesive remnants and eraser wheel marks. It came out OK, but not perfect.

I tried to work the adhesive off with some Goo Gone, and even used some Tar Remover, but it was really slow going (Esp. with GG). The Decal Remover is pretty aggressive stuff, and is not the best with a Color/Clear coat finish, it seems. It took off some of the clear coat in small areas.

Overall it looks pretty nice, but I guess one just cannot expect to be able to remove a large decal and have the finish be perfect.

This all will be dealt with when I decide to have the car painted in the future.

Thanks for the help!

Keith

Quick Reply: Removing PORSCHE decal from back of car - any ideas?