944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Euro Driving Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 11:38 PM
SpecialtyConcreteCoatings
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Euro Driving Lights?

Hello all. I just purchased my third 944, this one an '89. I was an active member here years ago and now I'm back after a 3.5 year hiatus with an IS300.

I tried to search this topic but my patience ran out.

My '89 944 has an updated S2 style front end all done with OEM parts. The problem is that the fog lights were never purchased or installed, so I have 2 empty compartments that need lights. I was gonna buy 'em used, but then I saw these Euro Driving Light kits for sale:

http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...07.022.kit.htm

Has anyone purchased these?

Is the kit missing anything I need? Like a housing?

Would y'all recommend me making this upgrade? I don't care about spending and extra $100 or so.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 05-26-2006, 02:40 AM
AZ968Cab
Cab'n It
Rennlist Member

I did it and they are awesome. PIAA bright whites (not wanna be ricey looking blue crap). They are awesome and the install was very straight forward. Install time was as usual for a non-freakin mechanic like myself: 2 hours for the first one, 20 minutes for the second...

The ony problem I have is that if I mistakenly flash my brights it blows the fuse on the driving lights if they are on. I followed the install directions to the tee but still have that problem. Once I get back from scenic Baghdad I'm going to fix that.. It's just a pest having to keep replacing fuses.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:38 AM
Banned

I ordered them. Should be here in a day or two. Thanks for the advise and the warning.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:13 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

AZ944: Are your main headlights on a relay (iceshark kit or similar), or are they stock? How did the driving lights wire up? I take it the driving lights aren't on relays.

SpecialtyConcreteCoatings, could you please post up a pic of what you get in the kit before installing them. I'm very tempted in ordering these.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:57 AM
Banned

I tried to install them yesterday, but I think I'm missing a part. Is there some sort of bracket that the entire foglight screws into? My 944 has an S2 front end, but there is nothing to screw the foglight to. Can anyone who has taken their lens off let me know what it screws to? Anybody know the part number or got a set for sale.

I will post some pictures of what came with the kit. I was pleased with what I got for the price.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:05 AM
AZ968Cab
Cab'n It
Rennlist Member

From memory, there is a bracket. I'm far from home/the car so I can't tell you for sure.

Bleucamaro - No relay. The wiring hooks/splits from the headlights. It's probably that they pull too many amps when the fog lights are on and I accidentally flash my brights.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:17 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,168 Posts
Default Stupid Question ?

I purchased my S2 about 4 weeks back and one thing that came with the car is euro driving lights. What is the difference between the euro lights and the US spec lights?

The outer lights turn on when the fog light switch is on and the inner turns on with the high beams. How did the US spec lights work?
Old 06-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Banned

The US version has only the one fog light bulb behind each lens. The Euro version has an additional bulb behind each lens that acts as a driving light.

So, your driving lights only come on with high beams? I still haven't hooked mine up (SEARCHING FOR THE DAMN BRACKETS), but that doesn't sound right.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:23 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

They may very well be hooked up improperly. You should see the botch job they did on these indiglo gauge lights. Not my style but works for autocross.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:20 AM
Kyle Donley
Burning Brakes

Hey SpecialtyConcreteCoatings, you are missing the grey plastic housing. Basically the back half of the light, the kit you bought assumes you are switching out your US fogs for Euros and they expect you to have this piece. The whole light assembly should look like this:

http://www.pap-parts.com/prodinfo.as...631%20251%2000

The kit you bought got you the reflectors and lenses and resemble this:

http://www.pap-parts.com/prodinfo.as...631%20221%2000

Note that at the top of this page is says: "This is the lens with reflector only and does not include the grey housing. Requires rewiring of the electrical connector".

Unfortunatly Paragon doesn't make it clear that you will need these parts, as for where to find them your guess is as good as mine. I have a complete set of US fogs but, I don't want to split them up.

I'm actually looking for a set of Euro fogs but, I haven't talked myself into spending that much money. Hope this helps.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:48 AM
AZ968Cab
Cab'n It
Rennlist Member

20car.com likely has the housing.

As far as the function is concerned, I can turn on both driving lights without the headlights being on (up) so it's a true European setup. As I mentioned I follwed their instructions but the fuzes blow everytime I accidentally flash the brights.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:03 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AZ944
20car.com likely has the housing.

As far as the function is concerned, I can turn on both driving lights without the headlights being on (up) so it's a true European setup. As I mentioned I follwed their instructions but the fuzes blow everytime I accidentally flash the brights.
The instructions are at Paragon.com? I obviously need to rewire mine to work properly.

Quick Reply: Euro Driving Lights?