Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Ahh, the sweet return! 944 turbo now in the family!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 04:18 PM
'bryan'
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ahh, the sweet return! 944 turbo now in the family!!

Well guys, its been awhile since I've posted on here. I warn you, this is going to be a long story, but I feel like sharing it! Its been a little more than a year now since I sold my 87 944, but it feels like a decade. Here's the story. The car was great, my first, and I had it for almost 3 years. A blast to drive, I fell in love with the handling, and for a 130k miles, it looked great and had been very well maintained. Only had a few problems that put it in the shop for a bit, but overall it was very reliable, never left me stranded. However, it was an NA and an auto, so of course I eventually wanted to move up to a turbo. Did alot of searching, and nearly bought one, but the deal fell through. Then part of the way through my junior year I realize that the 944, or a 951 for that matter, just might not be the most realistic/feasible college car. Living at home it was fine. My dad owns a garage and bodyshop, not that I ever needed the latter, so when something did break down, I could afford to wait a few weeks for parts while driving another vehicle, and then he could put the car back together. However, being three hours away, I would be stuck with paying big bucks to have the car worked on, and would be stranded without it. Plus, no realistic back seats or alot of room to move anything around with, not that thats a bad thing, just not good for a college kid. Another thing, I certainly didn't want to drive the 944 in the winter and wasn't about to start. So, I tried to be smart and practical. I came to the conclusion that I still wanted to stick with a car and it had to handle well and be fun to drive. I also decided to stick with a 4 cylinder, good fuel economy after all, and dad pushed for something that was either front or all wheel drive so it would drive well in the winter. I did some serious research, and finally began to lean toward an Acura RSX. It met the requirements, and should go at least a 100K miles without any serious maintenance, once again, a plus for a college student. I test drove one, and was impressed enough to buy one a few weeks later, an 02 with only 15k miles. Did I ever get over my obsession with the 944? No, definitely not. I simply came to the conclusion that it wasn't something I was going to be able to have for a while. The plan was a few years down the road, after graduating, buy one as a second car. Now I don't want to come off as crazy, or give the impression that I don't like the RSX, because I do, but here is how much I still loved the 944; I've probably had at least 4 or 5 dreams that I either bought mine back, or was in another one. SO, I'm now a freshmen in college, and my mom has been looking for a new car to drive around when its nice or only she is going somewhere and doesn't want to drive one of the SUV's. To shorten things a bit, after bouncing between a few cars, she started looking at 80's 911's. I convinced her that she would probably be happier with a 944 turbo, as she had liked how my 944 drove. Now I wasn't dead set on trying to get her to buy one, however, because although I would at least get to see it occasionally, the fact of it being right in front of me and not being mine would almost outweigh occasionally driving it. Well, she bid on one on ebay and won yesterday. The car will need a few things, but thats not too big of a deal, as it won't be her daily driver. If its halfway near the condition its advertised at, she got a steal, less than we paid for my 944. Its an 87, 123k miles and has been painted Ferrari yellow, which seems to have been done well from the pics. New clutch, pressure plate, transaxle and engine mounts, rebuilt fuel injectors, and a rebuilt turbo, k27-8. It also has Autothority chips and a K&N filter.. Only problem that worries me is that it supposedly idles a little rough at start, but runs fine after warming up. Also the muffler needs to be replaced, which is a good excuse to go 3 in. cat-back . I've got some pics, but unfortunately can't post them.

So I'm going home this weekend and heading up to Maryland with my dad to pick it up for her, which means I'll get to make sure it drives the way it should, lol, and drive it home. Anyway, overall I'm thrilled for my mom. Plus she's all ready said if she gets tired of it eventually, moves on, or simply doesn't like it, it'll be mine.

Quick Reply: Ahh, the sweet return! 944 turbo now in the family!!