Battery wont hold a charge!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 10:33 PM
RSchuh
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery wont hold a charge!

Hey all,
I'm having trouble charging my battery lately in my 83 944. Just put a new one in about a year and a half ago, so this thing SHOULD still be holding, yet even after running for an hour once turned off I dont have enough juice to start it up again. Any suggestions? There are cables hooked up to the battery to power the sound system, but otherwise everything is left stock. Thanks in advance,
Bob
Old 12-13-2004, 12:36 AM
Ice Rado
Intermediate

do you have a compacitor for your system?? i know my friend has a pretty large system and before he got a compacitor his car would always be low on juice
Old 12-13-2004, 01:46 AM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 20 Posts

Bob, just had the same problem, I brought the car down to STS and they tested the alternator and battery. They said my battery was border line and my alternator was charging 13v. I had them replace the battery and havent had a problem sense. I also have to look in the capacitor for my system as i think this may have added to the battery problem. I would say just bring it down to STS, Pep boys, or Sears and they will test the battery/alternator for free. May as well make sure its not the battery before testing the whole electrical system of the car.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:07 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To test if it's the battery, unhook it, and charge it overnight. Take it in to autozone/somebody who can test them, and get the results =)
That's usually the best way to do it.

A condition like that can be caused by something as simple as corrosion on the battery terminals.
If there is corrosion between the terminals and the posts, you can't always see it, but it can cause a problem similar to yours.
Check the battery voltage while the car is running, or get the charging system checked at autozone/whatever.

Last edited by Zero10; 12-13-2004 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:44 AM
Ice Rado
Intermediate

i agree w/ most when they say its the battery...mine got to the point where it would die after sittin w/ the door open for a few minutes...and it was a fairly new battery but it couldn't hold a charge...got a new battery and its been good since...

also:
check all ur terminals and connections...sometimes if the ground is correded too it'll prevent the battery from keeping a good charge

Quick Reply: Battery wont hold a charge!