944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Definitive Answer to the Oil Cooler Shim

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 05:24 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Definitive Answer to the Oil Cooler Shim

I did some searching around and could not find an answer for several questions I have...i'm using the Haynes and the Clarks Garage oil cooler removal and install procedures (http://clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/lube-01.htm)...both get very unclear as to how to "shim" and install the white plastic washer

Step 16. On normally aspirated cars, install the plastic washer (944 107 154 00) between the cooler element and cooler housing and slide the element into the housing.
i think Step 16 is missing some obvious instruction or at least a pic to tell you where to put the white plastic washer...my car did not have one installed so i could not figure it out by the previous installation

Step 17. Lay a straight edge across the top of the cooler housing next to the cooler element guide boss and determine the distance between the bottom lip on the guide boss and the straight edge is 0 +/- 0.25 mm. Do NOT include the cooler housing gasket in the measurement. Install shims (944 107 219 00) as necessary to obtain the required measurement. Shim thickness is 0.5 mm. Normally no more than one shim is required.
??? wha? this is very confusing as it is assuming i know several items...of course my car's oil cooler did not even have shims installed so i also cannot figure it out by looking at the previous installation

What is the oil cooler element guide boss or where is it? Where do you put the shims? which way to you lay the ruler across the guide boss to determine if you are within .25mm? what does the ruler lay on...is it supposed to be even with the oil cooler lip (the part that will seat up against the engien block?
Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okie dokie, I'll describe it how I did this when I had my cooler out, hopefully it is correct.
Install the new O-rings on the cooler element, and install the plastic washer on the little stub on the bottom right of the oil cooler (in your picture). it's a rather thick plastic washer. Install the cooler element into the housing, and lay a straight edge against the housing itself, and against the little stub on the opposite side of the cooler (bottom left of your picture). Not on the stub itself, but the flange beside the stub.
If it's not +-.25mm, then shim as needed. When I did this, I put no shims on, and I couldn't get a 0.1mm feeler gauge under the straight edge, so I figuire I must be measuring something correctly, since I was inside the tolerance.

If I had any art skills at all, I would draw a picture...
Old 11-28-2004, 09:09 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

thanks...i'll give this a try later tonight and take some better pictures with explanations

update: i got some help and also got a picture of the page from the FSM so it makes it so much more clear...you guys should add this to the oil cooler writeup (eliminates so much confusion)

Last edited by jaje; 11-28-2004 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:29 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oopsie, I guess I shimmed the wrong side of the cooler.
Oh well, I don't think 0.50mm will make that much of a difference, as long as the cooler can't shake around?...
Old 11-29-2004, 12:40 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

update...fletch from clarks garage posted the tsb that affects this area...the tsb will tell you exactly what you need to do

http://clarks-garage.com/phpBB2/view...?p=10848#10848

Quick Reply: Definitive Answer to the Oil Cooler Shim