944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Fixing a Small Windshield Chip

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 05:24 PM
Chase72
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing a Small Windshield Chip

Hey Guys: I have a small 1cm chip (not crack) in my '89 944S2 front windshield. It has not grown in size over the last month, but I would like to see if there is a way to seal it? or am I out of luck and need to replace the windshield entirely? Many thanks for your help!
Old 10-28-2004, 05:46 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

I have a tiny one too. Its been there for 2 years. Its more like a scrape on top of the glass. Annoying, but i havent been able to justify a replacement windshield. Ide like to know if there is something for repair as well!

EDIT: By the way, Chase welcome to rennlist! Oh, and is that avatar your car? If it is, then is that pearl metallic paint? And if it is, do you have some pictures!
Old 10-28-2004, 08:46 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

I had a 'chip' repair done that was about 95% perfect (I was living in the UK at the time). This service is common...check the yellow pages.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:39 PM
Chase72
Racer

Tom: how much did the repair cost, and what exactly did they do? Seal the chip? Thanks.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:48 PM
Chase72
Racer

BlueS2: Thanks for the kind welcome. Yes, my avatar is my new baby. The color is (and I'm probably misspelling it) Cocohari Beige. I have to take some more pics. It was a Florida car, no rust or scratches.

But this window chip is driving me crazy 'cause I can easily see it in my line of vision!
Old 10-29-2004, 10:05 AM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

cost?...dunno, got it on the M4 driving home from the dealer...car had 15 miles on it. dealer took care of it gratis
Old 10-29-2004, 08:44 PM
Scooter
Instructor

I have the same problem, my local auto parts dealer (Canadian Tire) had a $19.00 repair kit on the shelf and I bought it two days ago, haven't done it yet. It appears to just fill in the hole with some kind of clear goop to fix the glass.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:47 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A note of warning. Fix the chip only if it is big enough that it might spread. DO NOT fix a very small chip for cosmetic purposes only. The chip repair will remain slightly visible.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:07 PM
Chase72
Racer

Hey TD: Not sure how else to evaluate the spread of damage unless I see cracks sprouting--as I mentioned, it hasn't grown in size, but since I'm no glass expert, I'm not sure if I should get it sealed/filled. What are the bad consequences if it is fixed for cosmetic purposes (other than visible repair lines)?
Old 10-30-2004, 07:18 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Chase72
Hey TD: Not sure how else to evaluate the spread of damage unless I see cracks sprouting--as I mentioned, it hasn't grown in size, but since I'm no glass expert, I'm not sure if I should get it sealed/filled. What are the bad consequences if it is fixed for cosmetic purposes (other than visible repair lines)?
The best way to tell is to have a glass expert look at it. If they say it doesn't need to be fixed, then you can make a decision. The more conservative, and safer, route is the have the chip fixed. The only downside is, as I said, a little white spot that, in my car, I notice more than the original chip. Also, most insurance companies fix chips free two or three times. If you fix a chip that does not necessarily need to be fixed, you may have used one of your freebies unnecessarily.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:00 PM
flamingeye
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chase72
Tom: how much did the repair cost, and what exactly did they do? Seal the chip? Thanks.
Over here, you get a chip repaired free and pay fifty quid excess if you replace the windscreen through your insurance.
To be repaired, the chip needs to be of a certain minimum size. A proper chip as oppose to a surface mark.
I recently had my windscreen chipped. Took to repairers to be fixed, but they would have to replace windscreen as there were two together which were closer than the cut off point of being 'legal' to fix (approx 10mms apart)
My car had just had it's MOT (will be fail as they are pretty much in my eyeline) so decided to wait until Winter is over just in case I get any more from grit etc
I believe they use localised air pressure to force the resin into all the cracks. That is why the guy told me that mine would just probably crack with the two.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:29 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

I know Massachusetts auto insurance is screwy, but in other parts, if you have comprehensive coverage the insurance companies are more than happy to fix a little chip for you (before it becomes something serious). I believe some of them will do it without you paying any excess or deductible.

Barring that, Eastwood has a "Window Chip Repair System" or something like that -- I haven't tried using it though.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:31 PM
Chase72
Racer

Joe: Yeah, Mass insurance is screwy... I'll call my guy tomorrow to check.

Has anyone had experience using a DIY window repair (like the ones "Seen on TV")?

Thanks,
Chase
Old 11-07-2004, 07:41 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Chase- if the chip is in the path of the wiper blades your Mass insurance should cover you without a deductible.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:28 PM
Chase72
Racer

Shamus: thanks. I left a message with my rep. I'll post the reply I get in regards to insurance.
--Chase

Quick Reply: Fixing a Small Windshield Chip