Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Storing Car

Old 09-13-2004, 02:23 AM
PCA 944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing Car

I will be going to college soon, and unfortunately my 86' 944 can't come with me. So I will need to park the car for at least 6 months . Does anyone have any tips so that the car will still run when I come back.

I was planning to un hook the battery and buy a car cover, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Shayan
Old 09-13-2004, 05:19 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you dont say inside or out ?

heres a few tip's.

1> do a full service, at the very least, oil and filter change.
2> take the car out for a long run, to get the engine up tpo operating temp. various speeds and traffic conditions (at least 30mins)
3> spray electrical components under the bonnet (plug leads etc) with WD40 or other such water reppelannt.
4> pump tyres up by an addition 5-10 psi
5> put on axle stands
6> "some" people swear by fuel stabiliser , I've never used it.

7> ALARM/BATTERY
"You need to check with your insurance company about this bit"

If it's stored inside, use a battery maintainer, OR if not, remove the battery from the car and leave inside. clean both the battery and the connection terminals. Let the insurance company know that is what you've done, in case you have any problems

8> some people use satchets of silica gell in the passnger compartment, I've never have.

9> lower both windows a couple of millimeters
10> cover car if you wish, make sure the cover will allow the car to breath.

Lastly, dont be tempted to go out and start the car every now and again. That will do more harm than good. Think thats about it

HTH

Ade
Old 09-13-2004, 01:53 PM
PCA 944
Burning Brakes

I dont have a garage myself, so most likely I will be forced to park the car outside under a car port. Unless I find a reasonably priced car storing company. Also the exterior has some body damage and the white paint is far from its original condition (the paint is 18 years old). Accordingly, the is not equipped with any alarm and I would doubt anyone would steal the car though I still would like to maintain insurance just in case.

Thanks for your help Adrian. I just wish I didn't have to leave the car, the car is like family.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:03 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

hi PCA,

ok, well do the best you can, main thing is to oil change, long run, jack/and or pump up tyres,
WD40, fuel stabiliser, remove battery, thats about it !
Old 09-23-2004, 04:05 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

There has been a lot of discussion on the tire biz. I think the best thing is get them up off the ground so you don't flat spot them. Otherwise they will roll like they are square not round. Just think a constant thump thump as they rotate, would drive you nuts besides performance issues.

If you are going to store this outside I would worry about bugs getting in if you crack the windows open a little. The silica gell/crystals might be a good idea to soak up any moisture but I don't know where you would find a case of that. Maybe the packing companies like U-Line in the USA carry such a product.

That leaves you with #6 on Adrian's list, the gasoline. If you are going to let the car sit for under a year get some gas stabilizer. If it is going to sit for over a year I would drain the system dry.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:07 AM
jim3
Instructor

Can't emphasize enough the importance of adding fuel stabilizer like Stabil to the gas tank.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Storing Car