944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Need transaxle/half-shaft advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 06:36 PM
Canuck
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need transaxle/half-shaft advice

This is also posted on the 944 Turbo S forum...

"Now that I have got the HP up to the 400+ area in my old early '85 944 (we won't go into the "how" right now) I clearly need a stronger tranny/drive-train.

Any thoughts as to whether the transaxle from a Turbo S might fit and whether it would be stong enough for more than 300 ft. lbs. of torque? If so, where in the U.S. would be a good place to start hunting for such a beast? What should one expect to pay in American dollars?

Also, would it be satisfactory to beef up the stock transaxle somehow? How about using custom-built half-shafts? Where would one find a maker of such half-shafts?

Please, don't assault me with holier-than-thou comments on whether I SHOULD be running that much power. Fact is, I am, and I'd like helpful advice on how to get the power to the ground.

Thanks very much for your time and trouble.

Canuck"
Old 09-13-2004, 12:11 AM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes, the Turbo S transaxle will fix, but it has a taller final drive. Which might not matter to you with the power you are making. Check out Danno's website For the gearing differences.

The weakest link on the transaxle is the ring and pinion. Tifo started this thread to document the teardown of his old transaxle and his search for a stronger ring and pinion. Also the Turbo S has hardened lower gears, so you'll probably have to do more than the ring and pinion.

Just out of curiosity, would this power increase have anything to do with doubling the number of cylinders? You should try talking to Predator.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:30 PM
Canuck
Intermediate

Yes, it does have to do with doubling the number of cylinders....how do I find "Predator"...
TIA
Canuck
Old 09-13-2004, 09:06 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Canuck
how do I find "Predator"...
TIA
Canuck
At the top of this page click on "Search", then Advanced search under it.
On the right, enter his user name "Predator" in the search by user name area. It might also help to click on the "Show results as posts" button in the lower left. Click "Search now" and you will see a list of his posts. Click on one of them, then click on his name on the left side, above his avatar. This will give you the option of sending him a PM or email.

You might want to also check this site.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:34 AM
porsche924
Instructor

Check the 924board.org forumns, there are a few people there who have put chevy 350s in their 924s. They might be able to provide more info on what they use. i have also heard the the 80 924 turbo tranny (the snailshell with the 25mm driveshaft) can handle like 400 ft/lb of torque or something serious. it is based off a 911 tranny, dont remember which one though. Problem is that they are kinda rare(someone was selling one on e-bay for 200 before). The synchros on them are also crap but i have heard they can handle a lot of power.

Quick Reply: Need transaxle/half-shaft advice