944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

replace bearings in torque tube

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 09:32 PM
beekay28
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replace bearings in torque tube

My 944 had a terrible noise from the transmission untill the clutch was depressed then it disappeared. The noise has been traced to the bearings in the transmission torque tube. Has anybody replaced the bearings in the torque tube connecting the engine to the transmission, if so any hints, tips or detials of how to do it? I am in Malaysia so it will have to be a do it yourself approach.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:48 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You know there is a post over at clarks-garage.com on a guy that is doing this right now, with bearing part numbers.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:48 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And there was a Rennlister that made up some replacement aluminum torque tubes around 6 months ago so he may be able to tell you the tricks to get new bearings in. I would think pressing the bearings in down such a deep throat would be quite the trick for a shade tree mechanic with a minimal equipped shop.

On an off topic question, back in the late '80s Malaysia and Singapore were getting beaten on the head by the USA for drug running out of the golden triangle. So they threw up their hands and said fine, death penalty for drug running. And execution is via hanging. In Malaysia they had a poster in the airports showing a few kilos of drug packages and a guy hanging from a tree. In the KL air terminal they even had a big garbage bin next to the poster where you could throw away any drugs you foolishly brought in prior to clearing customs.

I tried to get a copy of that poster but couldn't with the transportation ministry. They did, however, put some secret agent type cop on me to tail me around and figure out what I was up to. The cop gave up after a few days when I went diving offshore in Penang.

I would like to get a copy of that poster if it is still available. It certainly was a conversation piece from what I recall.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:33 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IceShark
And there was a Rennlister that made up some replacement aluminum torque tubes around 6 months ago so he may be able to tell you the tricks to get new bearings in. I would think pressing the bearings in down such a deep throat would be quite the trick for a shade tree mechanic with a minimal equipped shop.
Sounded like a couple foot section of 3/4" full thread rod and nuts is what he used to get the bearings in and out.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:39 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure it is not the throw-out bearing (release bearing) on the clutch? Mine made a horrid noise that went away when I pressed the clutch pedal in.

When you remove the transaxle, unbolt the torque tube, slide it back, and rotate it by hand; see if it is noisy or smooth. If it makes no noise or turns freely and smoothly, then check the throwout bearing before going through the hassle of dropping the torque tube.

Cheers,
Old 09-24-2004, 07:56 AM
DM
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 38 Posts

I just bought an S2 making the same noise. PPI shop thought it was a throw out bearing. Turns out it was a tourque tube. BIG difference and now I'm replacing both! With mine the noise was really bad as soon as I touched the clutch.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:18 AM
porsche924
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might just be cheaper to replace the torque tube, i know i have a porsche junkyard near my house, dunno if you do.

Quick Reply: replace bearings in torque tube