944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

944 Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 08:07 PM
Backerst
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 Bumper

Im looking at an 87 N/A about 10 minutes from my house and I was wondering if anyone else has ever had the...well i have no idea what theyre called so ill just describe them- one of the two rubber pieces that are on the back of the rear bumper has fallen off and is currently being held in place with duct tape. Does anyone know if it is reattachable or would i have to buy a whole new bumper? Thanks!
Old 09-01-2004, 11:40 PM
makenzie71
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can reinstall it propperly...or just pull it and the other off and fill the holes for a cleaner look.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:02 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, to go into a little more detail than the poster above did, you may be able to re-install the bumper pad. They have studs in them that do rust and break over time. That is probably what happened to the one you are looking at. If you buy the car, you have two choices for repair:

1. Replace it with a new bumper pad or one from a junkyard. May be discolored differently though and not match perfectly.
2. The stud that has rusted off has a backing plate or flathead embedded in the rubber. If you are handy with a drill, you can remove the bumper, drill thru the backside and into the flate plate, then attach the pad with a machine screw from the back.

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply: 944 Bumper