Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Safety

Old 09-01-2004, 01:13 AM
allstar_02
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety

Ok, this is probably the stupidest question ever. But I want to know how safe the porsche 944's are. If i were to get in an accident would i survive or be crushed. My mom wont help me pay for a car that isnt safe. So what are the safety features that the 944 has on it?
Old 09-01-2004, 02:59 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a Google search. The car is very safe in crashes. There is one instance where a guy, I think in California, went off the side of a cliff, chopped a big tree in half - walked away, maybe a little sore, but walked away. There are other pretty bad wrecks reported here on Rennlist but I doudt the pictures are still on file.

I've never heard of anyone being killed in a 944/951 and I've been here since Rennlist was the old Rennlist. Saftey features? Seat belts, airbags in the later ones (the first cars in the world to have dual bags as standard equipment), crush zones, probably the torque tube.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:34 AM
PennyWise
Racer

The guys name is Bill Underwood..... its an incredible story... I read it almost 5 years ago when I first entertained the idea of owning my dream Porsche. When I decided to by my car this year, I was surprised to still see him on the web.....

It convinced me of the safety of the cars.... in fact... in Bill's words ( more or less)... He will never drive any other car.

Saying that.... just because you have airbags.. doesn't mean you need to test them.

My daughter (2yrs old) will probably inherit my car, but not until she has been taught to drive responsibly...... there is a lot of power here to get you into a lot of trouble....

Good luck convincing your mom... just don't do it by showing her how much fun it is in the twisties
Old 09-01-2004, 12:12 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

These cars are alot safer than you'd think. Much safer than most any 80's sports car.

I can't completely say they are safer than a modern car (late 90's early 2000's), but they are pretty good.

My father got into an offset head on collision with chevy pickup in our 87 924S. He came away with out a scratch. Frame was bent on the car, but engine lived on in my 944-spec race car for some time. I would have no problem with any family member driving a 944. There is actually a measure of safety in the performance of these cars.

Saturday I was in my 84 944 and some idiot making left turn at a 4 way stop failed to stop and drifted into my lane and would have hit me head on at 40+ mph if had not turned away at the last moment. Even one handed with quick jog of the wheel I moved the 944 from harms way with no drama. The drama was the yahoo who never moved off his suicidal course.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:33 PM
PennyWise
Racer

I had a similar incident a few days ago.... travelling on the highway approaching a three way split, when some young kids realised they where in the wrong lane.... so no problemo, just turn sharp across 4 lanes. I saw them comming and braked, but thanks to Porsche I did very calm sharp swerve into the emergency lane and back on the road again..... No sweat.....
Old 09-01-2004, 01:31 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

a car is only as the

a) accident its involved in
b) condition of the car and structure

saying that I'd rather crash in a Porsche than any other car !
Old 09-01-2004, 05:21 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

These cars are very safe. Probably the most important feature is the design of the seats. The highback seat is much safer than most car seats during rear-end collisions, i could go into the mechanisms of whiplash, but really don't need to for the purpose of this. Also, the torque tube (drive shaft is built within a solid metal tube) is designed with "dog ear tabs" on it, that surround the rear torsion bar carrier. The purpose of these is that in a front end or rear end collision, the dog ears catch the rear suspension, and keep the car from being crushed front to rear. Handling is also superb, in that if you need to make a last minute sharp maneuver, you can with a less chance of losing control of the vehicle.

If you are young and wanting one though, be prepared to dump most of your spare income into it. These cars are old, and they tend to require expensive maintenance to keep them on the road. Plan on minimum $1000 a year in maintenance, more if you require someone to do the work.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:14 PM
allstar_02
Intermediate

Hey, thanks to all of you that replied. This has helped alot. my mom is starting to think that porsches are safe cars but she still hasnt made up her mind. If any body has any more info on the saftey features of the 944 could you please post what you know.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:12 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

actually thinking about it,
I take my answer back

Porsche are the most "UNSAFE" cars in the world....

"cos when you is croosing down da strip and da hunnies check you out, the homeboys get mad and want ta 187 ya, and other cars crash each other by looking at you and not the road"

seeeeen

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Safety