I need a New Powersteering Rack

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 06:07 PM
Weltweite
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a New Powersteering Rack

Hello All,

I have been browsing through this forum for some time now.. and recently signed up.

I just bought a Late Model 1985 Porsche 944, and there was a leak coming from the Pressure Hose and the Power steering rack itself.
So I went on Rennbay.com and purchased the seals and everything to rebuild the rack.
The mechanic called me today and told me that the Rack is really worn out, and the seals cannot seal the rack, because there is too much clearance.
He says I need a new rack.

Does anyone have a good rack, or knows somewhere I can get a good rack for a cheaper price?

Or if there is an alternative? (i dont really want to take the belt of and go manual)

Thanx a lot guys, and I really appreciate your help, in advance.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:09 AM
924martinirossi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ALmost sounds like the mech wants to sell you a new rack. Use the kit and rebuild it your self. I just rebuilt the ps rack on my 85.5 last week. I also got the kit from Rennbay. Travis, at Rennbay is a great guy to business with.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:29 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless the rack ran with no fluid for a very long time, it will not be too worn out. It sounds like your mechanic wants to sell you a new rack. Or else he doesn't know how to rebuild it.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:34 PM
Weltweite
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx for the posts guys. You guys backed up exactly what I was thinking. Well I am not too good at rebuilding things.. So I went ahead and purchased a Rebuilt Powersteering rack for $395.00 and it is being installed by another mechanic.

Quick Reply: I need a New Powersteering Rack