Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

love hate relationship

Old 08-27-2004, 11:03 AM
autounion1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default love hate relationship

I just picked up my 951 two days ago. I can't describe how bittersweet the feeling is when I drive it. One moment I will be loving life: tapping into the sweet spot on the tack, and the next I'll be checking the guages to make sure it's no overheating. Then I'll get all warm and fuzzy inside when I achieve the perfect apex around a corner. Shortly after, the feeling will subside when I remember that the removable roof gears broke two hours after taking delivery of her.

I guess I'm just looking for any input on how to gain complete faith in my drive; that she won't leave me stranded on the side of the road. I realize I didn't buy a Honda. Maybe some positive stories on reliability will help!
Old 08-27-2004, 11:40 PM
lilredpo
Pro

Fear not, there are many on this board who have daily drivers.

Welcome!!!
Old 08-28-2004, 03:13 AM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely don't worry. I have had a 1989 Turbo and a 1990 S2 for five years, and neither have had major problems. Soon, that hate will be taken completely out of the equation, and you will be left with nothing but love for that 951! I hope that is the case, at least.

Welcome to the board, by the way, and to 951 ownership!
Old 08-28-2004, 09:40 PM
bennydean
Track Day

I know the feeling having owned my '88 944S for just under 12 months. When I first bought it there were a multitude of problems owing to neglect on the previous owners part, and I was convinced that this was not a car that could be driven daily.

It took a while to sort everything out but for the last 6 months I have been averaging about 100km/62miles a day, and all I do is put fuel in the thing.

I now have complete confidence in the car, which is a big deal when you condsider that it's a 16 year old sportscar.

All the best, I hope you get that feeling soon.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:46 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

The highly-problematic 944S? Well, its because the S is the most likely to fail. If Porsche made another "lemon" during the second-generation production run- it has to be the 944S.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:26 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't agree with what Dilberto says. 944S cars are only as bad as the preventative maintanence that has been done on them. Anyone who buys an "S" just needs to remember that there is an additional maintenance item that needs to be addresed. Granted, this item is not listed in the original maintanence intervals from Porsche, but with the advent of todays internet forums (hint: Rennlist and others), this has become a well known and available bit of info.

If anything, I think that the S is a good car because it has more HP than earlier n/a cars (albeit in a higher rev range), and it has a stronger transmission that should, if taken care of with regular fluid service, last much longer than a standard n/a trans. To me, those two things are actually nice advantages to have.............
Old 09-27-2004, 05:15 AM
porsche924
Instructor

I have a 90 944s2 cabrio that was previously owned by a women, she neglected a lot of the cosmetic maintenence like waxing it correctly. She also neglected some of the mech. maintenence stuff. All it took me was some elbow grease like oil change, flush the brakes etc. from what i have heard about the 924s with the same roof as your 944, it is very common for that gear to break. someplace makes a metal gear instead of that plastic jobby from the dealership. dont remember when they sold them, but i remember someone mentioning something about it.

p.s if you want a little reassurence to make the engine run a little smoother, go to a car audio store and buy a foot or two of amp wire(i used 4 gauge cause that is what i run my amp off of) and two ring connectors. place and extra ground wire off the battery to the ground spot, my car runs smoother now and has less electrical issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: love hate relationship