944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

dme fix?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 01:10 AM
troll
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow dme fix?

hey guys whats up..been monitoring the board for a while and got a few questions/comments. first off, good stuff. secondly, my power steering recently took a crap. somehow it was not connected and was hanging loose and i was getting loud squeeking noises. lifted the car up--saw that i could actually move the hose around and when the car was on it shook like a mad man. anyway, it was missing a bolt, fixed that and its workign fine. now the belt sometimes squeels when i start it..there is no slack in the belt and im wondering what could cause it? maybe an angle in the belt from the repairs? should i try and replace it? its not bad and the sound comes once in a while during ignition..

next question..there is not a lot of play in my steering wheel..now the power steering does work...but before it went out it began to feel a rubbing type feeling on the inside of the car..liek the plastic is rubbing against plastic...when i first purchased the vehicle that wasnt present..any ideaS?
Old 08-24-2004, 01:13 AM
troll
Advanced

oh..forgot about mentioning the dme...the car wouldnt start...we figured it was a fuel related problem..replaced the fuel filter and it ran for a few days..then died again..thought it might be an oil cut off switch (if that is aplicable heh) but we checked if the fuel pump was fine first and by passed the dme and car started right upp...we figured it was the dme..so we ordered a new one (42 bucks) but we solder the old dme in the mean time...ive read that soldering should keep it fine...but what do you guys think? i'm not sure if i should swap out the old and put in the new...any suggestions? thanks guys
Old 08-24-2004, 06:13 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

squeal could be from another belt slipping

as for the steering wheel feeling funny...there is a universal joint in the steering shaft that often fails. check that first

by "dme" I'm guessing you are meaning the DME/fuel pump relay.

going by the symptoms you describe, replacing the DME relay would be the most popular 'fix'

Last edited by Tom Carson; 08-24-2004 at 10:03 PM.

Quick Reply: dme fix?