944 DME trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 12:31 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts
Default 944 DME trouble

hi all,
i pretty much ghost at this site and pelican these days as you guys are mainly 944/ 951 specific, I ghosted here about 18mths before I joined to view pics, etc. But now i have a query to ask on behalf of my stepdad.

hes had a euro '84 944 roadcar the last 8 yrs and until 3yrs ago a '86 944 US spec track car he built up himself and changed to euro engine/ dme and transaxle. He sold that after 3 seasons and bought a '78 911SC thats been tracked now for almost 18yrs.

Anyway, both the 944's had their fair share of DME and DME relay problems and hes finally sick of it after it stranded him recently on his hour trip home from work. In the rain!

Having gone into semi-retirement he has more time on his hands and has been cutting down his assets. The SC is up for sale after 2 seasons, he sold a classic formula ford he had but then bought another, and hes sold his project Beggs Formula 5000 car, but you know what they say about idle hands...

He wants to use the 944 as his daily driver but because of the problems its been having hes been driving his 964 C2 more which hes trying to keep his km's down on for resale value.
The 944 had a year off the road at one stage replacing all the typical 944 problem areas incl the DME and all sensors (with a used one) and 6 mths later

its stuffed again!!

He would like to know if there is any aftermarket replacement for the DME. Hes not looking for performance/ power increase, etc, just reliabilty. Hes even been thinking of *God forbid* converting it to carbs just for a fun project and simplicity. hes not afraid to start a project like that and even has the carbs already from another project.

Thats the other thing he wanted to know, if anyone had carbed a 944 before. I think its crazy and a step backwards but like i said, hes got too much time on his hands. he has said though if anything he would just like to replace the DME with something more modern and reliable. He should buy a boat.... !

All help appreciated, any critisisms (sp?) will be noted but he knows people who can fabricate/ machine for him and his minds fairly set.
If he goes ahead with the carbs I'll be documenting his progress with pics, etc Id be happy to share with you all!

Cheers!!
Jae
Old 08-18-2004, 08:13 PM
michael2e
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a pristine DME for the early 944 that's been sitting on a shelf in plastic wrap if you need one. PM me if you're interested
Old 08-19-2004, 01:47 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Hi Michael,
Is that for a US spec or Euro. If he decides to buy it would have to be the latter

Jae
Old 08-19-2004, 12:51 PM
michael2e
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasnt aware that there's a difference but since it's off my 83 944 I suppose it's US spec

Quick Reply: 944 DME trouble