944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

944 start problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 05:58 PM
944SM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 944 start problem

I'm new to this fourm and have been previously using it to help me in trouble-shooting my son-in-laws "new" 944 hoping to help him in getting it on the road. I was not successful in finding the same problem posted. It was always "successful start then either running rough or stalling." This car runs perfectly once it is assisted with the "whiff of juice". The problem is the car will not start either hot/cold without just a "whiff" of starting fluid a this time. It was purchased as a "tired of it not starting and finally died car". The car was running and intermittently would not start. When it did it ran fine. It would always crank, but not fire up.The car was sitting for approx 3 months when he purchased it. I have all the records back from when it was purchased and all maintenance records. It was very well taken care of. I diagnosed at first that it was not getting spark. I have repaired/replaced the following over the last 2 months:
1. New coil,wires,plugs,rotor cap.
2. Rebuilt DME-(Attained spark)
3. New battery,hoses, belts,etc.
4. New injector seals and cap.
5. Re-soldered DME Relay circuit connections.
6. Engine compartment grounds all removed and cleaned.
I ran all the Haynes trouble shooting sheets from the manual; ie, TPS, injectors,AFM,resistance and voltage checks including fuel flow and pressure. ALL are within spec according to the book. I drained and replaced the gas and added fuel injector cleaner(Chevron Techron) to the tank. I feel it is a fuel delivery problem, but affordability of parts ,fuel pump,new injectors will kill his budget. If anyone has ran acroos the same problem or has any suggestions where to troubleshoot next, it would be most appreciated. The next step is to a shop. I'm backed into a corner on this problem, but would like to fix it for him and save some money. It really is a nice car waiting to be driven and enjoyed everyday! Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by 944SM; 08-07-2004 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:07 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Hi 944SM, welcome.
Assume you swapped the DME relay and checked the sockets in the central electric unit for corrosion??
Might want to check the more general 924/944/951/968 board in the water cooled section. There must be a lot on no start / wont start inthere.
Takecare
Old 08-16-2004, 12:07 PM
Dalilean
Instructor

I can almost guarantee what it is. Look behind the manifold, "shake" the referense sensors cables. It should start right up. Then look to change them (about 100 each, you need 2)

I should know, I had that same problem!. $700 worth of mechanical work and weeks of internet searching lead me to discover how to solve it. Clarks Garage has a tutorial on how to change them.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:30 PM
chitown928s4
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id check the fuel pressure regulator...that was the culprit of my start wouldnt stay on scenario...maybe smack it or just get a new one..there like $50

Quick Reply: 944 start problem