944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

More Trouble With John Anderson Of Anderson Motorworks

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 10:57 PM
merleperry
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Trouble With John Anderson Of Anderson Motorworks

OK....Here's the latest. John has still not reimbursed me for the $1200.00+ of repairs that the engine he built needed. The check's been in the mail for over 4 weeks now, so I can only assume that it's not coming.
He's avoiding calls and not returning messages or emails. After doing some checking his company has numerous outstanding complaints against him with the Better Business Bureau.

My advice....steer clear of John Anderson and Anderson Motorworks
Old 08-05-2004, 12:37 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ohhhhh Daaaaaa-n-oooooooooo??????

I figure he might pop in here to say a thing or two on the subject. . .
Old 08-12-2004, 09:43 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't you just take him to small claims court? "Implied warranty of merchantability"? Even if signing the work order says you are waiving certain rights, are there not still tort laws that protect the consumer?

BBB is worthless except for finding out in advance that someone is scum.

Good luck.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:48 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

1200 should still make it in the small claims court. Problem is in small claims court, that even if you win, it is your responsibility to collect, and if the other party doesnt want to pay, they basically don't have to....it is a very screwed up system. If you want payment, you basically need a lawyer, but by the time you pay one, your 1200 is going to be much smaller.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:05 PM
merleperry
5th Gear

Default Stay away from Anderson Motorworks!!!

The $$ really doesn't concern me, I spend more on tires during a race weekend. Its the principle of the matter. John Anderson is dishonest, and his business dealing reflect poorly on his character. I just hope by posting, that others can avoid the same pitfalls for dealing with this type of disreputable individual and business.

And if anyone doesn't want to take my word for it check out the San Diego BBB web site.

[U]http://www.sandiego.bbb.org/commonre...11003149&code=[/U]
Old 11-22-2004, 07:51 PM
merleperry
5th Gear

The closing chapter on the tale of a bad build unfortunately doesn't have a happy ending.
After Joe was kind enough to show me his in car video, I was extreemly suprised at the amount of smoke my "new" anderson motorworks engine was making. I opted not to race and save the motor hoping it was somthing minor.....turns out that was wishfull thinking.

After getting the car back to Va Bch, I had race prep motorsports take the head off to inspect the engine. All 4 cylinder walls are scored so badly that you could feel the grooves with your fingers and the engine was consuming oil faster than gas. Since the engine is nicasil it can not be fixed without sleaving the cylinders. (a very expensive proposition)

All toll - I sent John Anderson a healty 60,000 mile2.7L motor for a rebuild. After getting it back from his shop, the engine destroyed itself in less than 3 hours of track time.

In fairness to Anderson Motorworks I emailed John to give him a chance to make things right prior to posting, but to no one's suprise he has refused to respond.

My advice...apart from the obvious (aviod Anderson Motorworks) if you want a race preped engine..spend the money and go with Circle performance or John Milledge. Both guys are expensive but at least they have good reputations for building quality
Old 11-23-2004, 02:00 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a "reputable" shop in Fort Lauderdale do that to me with my Esprit's engine. I sent it in for new rod and main bearings - nothing else. They rebuilt my whole engine without asking, bought pistons and rods I didn't need for $1800, and returned the car to me with a rod knock. They tried to fix it, rebuilt it again, and it developed a rod knock 250 miles later. In the span of 255 miles, they managed to ruin an esprit engine and take an original standard size crankshaft down to egg-shaped at its minimum grind.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:47 PM
merleperry
5th Gear

Default Anderson Motorworks BBB report

Your best bet when doing business is deal with someone as local as possible. Distance and personal visits tend to produce higher quality. Baring that check the BBB report

http://www.sandiego.bbb.org/commonre...11003149&code=

Quick Reply: More Trouble With John Anderson Of Anderson Motorworks