Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Oil flow/route/direction ... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 02:09 AM
krahmlow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil flow/route/direction ... HELP!

Very, very, very stupid mistake in the garage today. Putting the oil feed tube back on after changing out the cam chain tensioner and I dropped an aluminum crush washer into the head. I think it rolled happily downhill into one of the rectangular holes on the passenger side of the head (oil pathway, right?). Question is, where does that pathway go? Anyone know for sure? Any chance it goes directly back into the sump? If I'm a VERY lucky boy, I'll drain the oil tomorrow and this washer will drop right out.

If the pathway joins another and then goes to the sump I could try flushing the washer through by pouring oil into the pathway, I guess.

If not, what the _____ do I do now? Any ideas?
Old 07-31-2004, 02:38 AM
krahmlow
Instructor

Okay, I just realized that Clark's Garage has a flow chart that shows the oil draining from the head more or less directly into the sump--without lubricating any other moving parts, anyway. So maybe I should run the car for a minute to flush the washer and then drain the oil? Hmm.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:20 PM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It doesn't matter, The screen on the oil pickup tube will, umm, err, screen out the washer.

Next time, put some paper towels arount the surface that you are working on so that you don't have to worry about things like this happening.

gb

Quick Reply: Oil flow/route/direction ... HELP!