944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 06:28 PM
MN_944S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain tensioner

My son was driving my 944S when he heard a clink when shifting from 4th to 5th and then it felt like he was down shifting. He then let it coast to a stop and it would not start.
Long story short, the chain broke the chain tension. When it broke it took at least one tooth off the cam and broke the casting where the bolts hold down the tensioner.Still don't know if any valves were bent(the way my luck is going I'll bet there is
From what I can research with local 944 experts I am looking at 3k min
This is a 87 S with 50k on it. WWPOD(What Would Porsche Owners Do)?Has anyone swapped the 2.5 for the 3.0?If so, what did it cost.
Does anyone have a S head for sale?
Opinions? Donations(kidding)?
Old 07-17-2004, 01:02 PM
300guy
Rennlist Member

I've got a 928S4 head (same valves I think) that you could use the valves from.

If you keep your eyes open I'm sure that you'll find a good deal.

Colin
Old 07-17-2004, 04:34 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a complete 2nd hand or recond cylinder head, complete with valves etc etc
Old 07-17-2004, 04:49 PM
MN_944S
Advanced

Hey guys thanks for your replies I will check to see if the valves will work in my car in the event some are bent. Would it be possible to bend them in two cylinders and if so then only two per cylinder be bent(exhaust or intake)?
I have done a little checking on recond heads and they are rare. Not much luck so far.
I was also wanting to know that if I need to replace cam and valves is there any performance upgrades I can do to at least gain some HP for the money I will be spending?
Thanks again
Old 07-18-2004, 11:15 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Valves are almost undoubtably bent. To sort of answer your question, an S2 motor will fit but is more involved than just the engine switch Tthe air intake is different and the air cleaner in the nose panel.) Also you will need DME and wiring harness. Jim Pasha did a write-up of ther switch in Excellence.

Another issue is that the 944S uses the same suspension and brakes as the regular 944 and the S motor makes these border on the marginal. Just as with the Turbo switch you would need to upgrade these parts. The S2 motor could also utilize the turbo aerodynamic package.

You might consider seeing if the casing can be repaired (welded). The rest of the job is fairly common if not cheap. I have heard goog things about Autoedge as a 944 shop in the TC. You do have a lot of resources up there.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:42 AM
MN_944S
Advanced

Thanks for the informative reply Tom! I will probably go the way you said(welding the current head) unless I find a good quick deal on a complete used head in good condition.
I will keep posting the progress...It goes to AutoEdge today.
Meach

Quick Reply: Chain tensioner