944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Help Diag: Trans or Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 03:57 PM
rbm23
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Diag: Trans or Clutch Problem

I took a turn too fast in my 86' 944, slid sideways, and hit a tree. The impact point was the passenger side rear quarter panel. Visually, the only damage was to the quarter panel, so the accident wasn't that bad. The tree was skinny and cracked on impact so that absorbed some of the blow before spinning the car in the opposite direction. Also, the grass was wet so it wasn't hard to spin the car after impact.

The engine still runs great, but the car is stuck in neutral (so to speak). Shifting gears with and without the clutch engaged doesn't do anything. I've checked the shift linkage and it is fine.

My question is: How can I "easily" (<-- I know that is probably the reaction I'll get!) diagnose whether the clucth OR the transmission is the problem? I'd like to at least narrow it down to one or the other. The reason why I am suspecting the clutch is due to the fact that it was about ready to be replaced before the accident. It is the rubber centered disc, so I can see that breaking on impact.

Thanks for any info in advance, and if someone has any suggestions on what I might check to narrow down this issue to a specific problem, I'd greatly appreciate it! All my expertise when it comes to this car lies everywhere but the clutch and tansmission (outside of changing the trans fluid twice a year). Just my luck!

Rip
Old 07-15-2004, 06:36 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Are your CV axles still intact? I would have a lookie underneath at the tranny and have someone put it in 1st and try and drive away, that way you can see if there is anything broken with the axles.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:43 PM
rbm23
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply! I just got back from NAPA where I bought the 12 point allen socket to remove the CV's. I figured I'd start dismanteling the rear end.

I hope this is a sign since I just got your post suggesting the CV axels might be the problem! I'm calling my cousin to come over so I can try what you suggested. I hope that the axles are the problem since replacing them is a whole lot cheaper than buying a rebuilt trans.

Thanks again for your time, and I'll let you know what I find.

Rip
Old 07-15-2004, 08:38 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That was all i could come up with, i can't imagine that hitting a tree would cause a tranny or clutch to fall apart, and you would think there would be grinding or some sort of noise as you were trying to move.

Quick Reply: Help Diag: Trans or Clutch Problem