944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Interested in buying 944

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 01:59 AM
bashir
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested in buying 944

Hey everyone I'm looking into buying an 88' 944 Coupe with a 2.5L 8v engine. It has a 131,000 miles on it. I am going to talk to the owner tomorrow and probaly test drive it. I CAN'T WAIT! I own a 95' Integra now which is pretty reliable but seeing that car next door has been so tempting. I am a junior in college and I run my own deck business but how do you think the costs will compare owning the Integra and the 944?

Also what should I look out for when checking out the engine?
And what questions should I ask the owner?
Any help would be awesome!
Thanks so much!
-Bashir
Old 07-15-2004, 02:19 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

when were the following replaced, and does he have records: These are the big ticket items:

Clutch
Waterpump
Timing and balance shaft belts
Front seals
Old 07-16-2004, 04:15 PM
a.n.other
Instructor

Do you do much car-work yourself? i think that is where you get really shafted by people charging through the a$$ because it is a Porsche. I've had mine 6 months and apart from a leaking cam tower gasket which i fixed myself for $20 (would have been a few hundred at a garage) i have had no major problems - frantically touching wood! Parts bought online aren't much more expensive than other cars - especially other foreign cars. They aren't any more difficult to work on yourself than any other car.

here's an extensive buyers guide webpage to read through
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...yers_guide.htm

How much is he wanting for it? 131k is quite a lot of miles, but many have done twice that. Also the odometers stop working so often and are so easy to alter you cannot really trust the miles without a good carfax. Prices vary a lot around the country, but i couldn't believe how inexpensive they were around here.

I haven't regretted buying mine one bit - best $2k i have ever spent!

Have a drive round some good corners and you'll never want a front wheel drive again!

have a look on the other rennlist forum aswell - a lot busier than this one (but a lot more crap also!)
https://rennlist.com/forums/forumdis...?s=&forumid=70
Old 08-05-2004, 03:08 PM
lilredpo
Pro

Did you buy it?

Quick Reply: Interested in buying 944