944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

I bid you all farewell.

Old 06-14-2004, 06:26 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool I bid you all farewell.

I sold my 89’ S2 on Saturday to the father of a local rennlister. Even though I know it is going to a very good home, it was hard to watch someone drive my car away.

My new image is a Venetian Red 2000 Volvo V70-R AWD Wagon w/ 5 speed automatic (for those not in the know, the car has 261 hp stock and is estimated to have about 295 with the Upsolute chip upgrade). It is no substitute for the S2 in speed or handling, but it is not bad for a wagon. Oh, the sacrifices we make for our children…

For those interested, I sold the car for about what I purchased it: $9,000. It 63,000 miles on it when I bought it and had 97,000 miles on it when I sold it.

Over the 4 ½ years I owned the car I upgraded the shocks, struts, springs and torsion bars with M030 parts. I chipped the car with the Steve R chip. I added a 928 brake bias valve, speed bleeders and installed the plastic coated stainless brake lines form Paragon Products. I also did several thousands of dollars worth of preventative maintenance to the car (clutch, injectors, seals, water pump, chain tensioner, AC conversion, lots of oil changes, new fluids for the tranny, radiator, brakes and power steering, new master & slave cylinders, recovered steering wheel, various relays, etc.)

Owning the S2 has been a life changing experience. Most importantly, I learned how to drive. Although I have been driving since I was 16 (I am 41 now), I did not understand driving until I took my S2 to a few Auto0X’s and Drivers Ed events. The Drivers Ed events really opened my eyes to thrill and risks of driving.

Ever since my first DE event I now drive with both hands on the wheels almost all of the time. I learned that bad things can happen very fast and that one has to always be prepared – a split second advantage due to awareness and preparation can mean the difference between driving home and being towed home (or worse). I really do not understand ho people talk on the phone and drive or how they can drive at 70 mph with just one wrist hanging over the top of the steering wheel. I guess that ignorance is a potentially deadly bliss.

I now understand the dynamics of a car as it goes thru a turn and I understand the implications of braking, lifting throttle or applying gas while in a turn. (Turn-in, apex, track out). I have learned how to “feel” a car and to understand what it is trying to tell me about the road and about itself. It is very comforting to have this knowledge and to have a connection with the car and the roads on which I travel. These things are evident even when I drive the Volvo or the mini-van.

I wish everyone on the board the best. Porsche owner ship would not have been nearly as fun without the knowledge and support of the good people on this list.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:39 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Farewell, good luck, you will be back!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I bid you all farewell.