944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Gas Fumes....

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 04:33 PM
PCA 944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Gas Fumes....

My 1986 944 runs great for the most part, but under hard acceleration the cabin fills with gas fumes. Under normal conditions the gas smell is not present, but under hard acceleration the smell is present.

Also my gas tank seems to fill up at 8-13 gallons max, although the gas tank is 21 gallons. The fuel indicator shows full even with 8 gallons in the tank. Does anyone have an idea of what could be wrong with it?

Regards,
Shayan
Old 06-02-2004, 03:39 AM
speedracer18
Intermediate

Default check this out

I had the same problem. In the gas tank, there is this metal cylinder that has a gasket around it. Its the cylinder where the electronics connect to on the top. Its simple, just take off the screws and there it is. Take it out and theres the gasket. Now, i think its this because its a pressurized gas tank, so when the pressure builds, the fumes will leak from the pressure. That might solve that bad reading as well. As for where you can get the gasket, dont worry, its not a porsche part. Its a VW one yet again. Its like five bucks at any volkwagon place. Its round with three wholes in it equally spaced around the circle. Good luck dude.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:12 PM
PCA 944
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I will check it out. I was worried that the gas fumes were a symptom of a larger problem.

Quick Reply: Gas Fumes....