New Track Junkie needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 04:19 PM
InThePocket
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Track Junkie needs advice

Well, I'm certain of one thing following my first DE experience at Mid Ohio a few weeks ago, I've got to do that again! What I don't know for sure is in what vehicle. From some previous fine Rennlist advice, and my personal experience I know that I don't want to beat up my 996, and that a 944 is likely the way to go for now. My questions are: Will I be happy driving a normally aspirated 944 after using my 996 on the track? I understand that learning to drive well on the track is the primary focus, but will I quickly want more car? Is it reasonable to hope to find a great track car that I can drive to the events? For various reasons I hesitate to go track only at this early stage. Is it likely that I can find a streetable car that has the safety features already installed, (cage, seats, harnesses etc.). What other features should I be looking for? Are there other questions that I should be asking and am too dumb to realize yet? Thanks to all in advance.

Roger
Old 05-09-2004, 01:27 AM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

After a 996 I think the 968 or 944S2 platform would be a little more up your alley. The NA 944 while being a very balanced car will feel a little underpowered verses what your used to.

If you could find a 968 thats been setup right and lightened a bit, it would give your 996 a run for its money.
Or if your boost hungry as I see from your sig, get a 951.

Mine is pretty much setup to be a street driven track car, more focus on suspension than anything else.

Last edited by Jason_86_951; 05-09-2004 at 01:48 AM.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:47 PM
InThePocket
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Thanks Jason

I realized after starting the thread that it might be better placed on the DE forum. I saw your reply there as well. Thanks. I like the idea that some had of sticking with the 996 for a least a few more DEs. I'm surely then to have a better understanding of where exactly I'm going with this and what my interests might be. My hesitation with the 996 was purely for the preservation of the vehicle. But, hopefully driving with that in mind will keep me from being stupid.

Roger

Quick Reply: New Track Junkie needs advice