Newbie - Starter issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 01:43 PM
Cocytus
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie - Starter issue?

Hello -

Just brought my 1985.5 into the Charleston, SC area, from DC, last week. Was driving just fine all the way down, and has been driving fine almost daily around town here.

Unfortunately, I went to start it last night, the engine started to turn over, and then it just sits there. It doesn't even turn over once. The stereo, interior, and headlights all appear to have power just fine, and I replaced the battery with a new one just last year. I've had work done to the car since I bought it about 3 years ago, but it's all been thorough and performed well after every servicing. I'm thinking it's the starter, but I've never (and still really don't) had the time to learn or work on the car on my own, so my knowledge here is a bit rudimentary.

Anyway, if that sounds familiar, could you tell me what it is, and if anyone's in the Charleston area, do you know of a good place I can take it, or is this something I can learn and do over the course of a weekend?

Oh, and I need someplace to get parts at, down here...

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-02-2004, 04:28 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

usual suspects is the DME relay,

open the bonnet, remove the cover for the fuse/relay cover (black)
locate the DME relay, unjack it, clean contact refit, if no joy, do same with the fuel relay, make sure all fuses and relays are nicely seated and working. (use the on-board fuse tester)

if no joy, I'd suggest replacing the DME relay anyway

holla back

BTW welcome !
Old 05-02-2004, 05:05 PM
Ethan
Rennlist Member

I just replaced my starter. It is an easy job, and I don't work on my car really either. I think its about 4 bolts. It took me longer to get the car on ramps than it did to change the starter. That does sound like the DME relay to me too, which I also replaced after mine wouldn't start with the new starter. Also, sometimes shaking the relay will move the contacts and make it work temporarily. Then you know if that is the problem. Do a search on here, there is plenty of information. Welcome to Rennlist!
-Ethan
Old 05-03-2004, 01:44 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mean the starter partially turns over and then just stops dead?

That could be the starter or connections to it, I'm thinking the positive starter cable maybe or the solenoid. You can take it out yourself but you will need some extensions and probably U-joints to get to the top bolt that goes onto the torque tube.

Then when it is out you can test it and see how it turns over. Read Clark's Garage to get an idea how much work it is and if you are up to give it a shot.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:49 PM
Roger Collins
Advanced

Had a similar problem with mine last year. Sometimes the car would not turn over, acted like a bad starter or battery. Had juice to the accessories though. Turned out the problem was a bad ground strap. After all the years it had corroded, and gave intermittent contact.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:08 PM
roy_josef
Instructor

Forget about running, does the engine crank? (turn over) If it spins freely but wont start it MAY be your DME relay, however if it does not even turn over, look elsewhere, your DME relay is fine. Check your grounds and connections. Heres a little trick, grab a jumper cable, connect one end to your neg. terminal on your battery and the other end of the same cable to your engine block and turn the key. If no go, start a proper diagnostic routine.

Quick Reply: Newbie - Starter issue?