Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

944 Won't run very long/Keeps stalling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 08:50 PM
solaris
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 Won't run very long/Keeps stalling.

I just bought an 85 944 a month ago and it was running fine until 2 days ago.
I shut it off at the local store, came out and started it again, it ran fine and went about 100 feet then it quit.
If I let it sit for a minute it starts then stalls after about 15 seconds. And it does it continously and will not run for any longer than 15 seconds. The idle fluctuates and runs very rough.
So far I have checked the fuel pressure, coil, fuses, relays, the spark plugs have been changed, everything seems to be fine. The idle speed motor, mass air flow, and throttle sensor were changed shortly before I purchased the car. Also the alternator was shot, so I replaced it yesterday hoping this was the problem but such was not the case. Any suggestions on what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Bob.

Last edited by solaris; 05-01-2004 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:33 PM
penfold944
2nd Gear

I seem to be having the same problem but just not as dramatic... I think its fairly definate that you have a problem with your DME Relay.

I've just ordered a replacement and they are very cheap off the shelf items at around $50. It seems to be a fairly common problem. My 944 has only died that badly once on me - but when idling or driving you can feel the power dip slightly
Old 05-08-2004, 10:51 AM
solaris
2nd Gear

My problem unfortunately is the DME itself so there goes another $300. I sent it off to a porsche place to get it checked at it's toast. Whoever had this car before me put in an aftermarket alarm system and it shorted the DME out when my alternator went. What fun cars are

Quick Reply: 944 Won't run very long/Keeps stalling.