Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Screeching wipers and leaking coolant. Oh yeah.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 07:30 PM
Bateman
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screeching wipers and leaking coolant. Oh yeah.

Hi Gents,

My wipers have screamed like a scalded cat for a year now. At one point, I was bringing the car into The Gopher (My mechanic at International Performance) for something else and I told him: "The wipers are screeching, but they clear water away fine. So please see what you can do, but don't assume that getting new wipers is the answer". He nodded, replaced the wipers, and they screeched just as much too.

Why did I even go to the Gopher???

Anyway, do you know of any particular wiper blade brands which don't squeal? My windshield is clean so that shouldn't be the problem.

Also, I've now had replaced my coolant hoses and radiator, and my water pump is only 30,000 miles old, yet I still have a slow coolant leak...any ideas? Is it dangerous to be driving the car? It's been losing coolant like this for at least half a year and runs great. It's losing it so slowly that nothing appears on the garage floor.

Many thanks,

Nicolas
Old 04-11-2004, 08:28 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the coolant isnt appearing in your oil is it? You may have a bad radiator/expansion tank cap, that is letting it out when you drive. As far as the wipers go, maybe the wiper blade assembly needs to be replaced, not just the wiper insert. But usually that will cause streaks to be left by the wiper. Never heard of that problem before.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:27 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Screeching wipers could be the gears, or perhaps the motor or linkage.

As for the slow coolant leak, sounds like it could be a temperature sending unit, or there are some coolant hoses and elbows at the back of the engine for the heater. They tend to leak sometimes.
If it's on top of the engine, you will never see a drip.

I am trying to chase down a coolant leak myself right now. About 1L/2 weeks. Checked everything under the sun!

I would keep driving it personally, I wouldn't worry about the slow leak.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:54 PM
Bateman
AutoX

Thanks to both of you for the advice!

Cheers,

N
Old 04-24-2004, 01:23 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Heater control valves anyone?

I have a mysterious coolant leak, nothing in the oil, no puddles, but no coolant either. Replaced the rad cap (Keep it Simple) then heard a strange new whistle. Wanna guess where the whistle is comming from?

Quick Reply: Screeching wipers and leaking coolant. Oh yeah.