944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Engine Ticking (Lifter?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 08:01 PM
BrewCityGarage
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Ticking (Lifter?)

Hello all, I have a 1986 944 NA, high millage, that I am trying to turn into my first track car (I'm a rookie through and through). After replacing the brake lines and gas lines (corrosion/safety) I was finally able to start digging into the engine this week.

After starting the engine I noticed a ticking noise coming from the engine (see link below). I had read that some ticking is to be expected due to the mechanical fuel injection but this seemed like more than that and I was hoping to see if anybody had any advice on how to address the issue (if it needs to be addressed that is).

Few other details:
- We held the car at about 3k RPM for 30 seconds or so to try to run some gas through it and the engine ran smoothly.
- Oil gauge reads around 6 BAR at startup and holds steady while running.
- Fresh oil change of 6.5 quarts of 20W50 VR1 Valvoline Oil.
- Plan on burping the coolant system in the future, for now we just made sure to top it off.
- The engine/car had sat for a while before we bought it (likely a year or so).
- Total engine run time thus far is likely only a few minutes over several sessions.

Appreciate any help.

-Brew

Old 06-19-2019, 01:02 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by BrewCityGarage
Hello all, I have a 1986 944 NA, high millage, that I am trying to turn into my first track car (I'm a rookie through and through). After replacing the brake lines and gas lines (corrosion/safety) I was finally able to start digging into the engine this week.

After starting the engine I noticed a ticking noise coming from the engine (see link below). I had read that some ticking is to be expected due to the mechanical fuel injection but this seemed like more than that and I was hoping to see if anybody had any advice on how to address the issue (if it needs to be addressed that is).

Few other details:
- We held the car at about 3k RPM for 30 seconds or so to try to run some gas through it and the engine ran smoothly.
- Oil gauge reads around 6 BAR at startup and holds steady while running.
- Fresh oil change of 6.5 quarts of 20W50 VR1 Valvoline Oil.
- Plan on burping the coolant system in the future, for now we just made sure to top it off.
- The engine/car had sat for a while before we bought it (likely a year or so).
- Total engine run time thus far is likely only a few minutes over several sessions.

Appreciate any help.

-Brew

https://youtu.be/AlB1Ymq30Os

Sounds like normal 944 injector ticking.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:31 AM
BrewCityGarage
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is music to my ears. Thank you for the reply.

I just wanted to verify as I will be running the engine a good bit this weekend and didn't want to be unknowing doing any damage to it.

-Brew

Last edited by BrewCityGarage; 06-19-2019 at 09:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking (Lifter?)