Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

'91 S2 swapping spoiler to earlier hatch and speaker upgrade)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 03:58 PM
bobinnova
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default '91 S2 swapping spoiler to earlier hatch and speaker upgrade)

Hi all -

I have been a long time lurker but this may be my first post in a long time so please forgive me if I missed something that was easy to find. I have a '91 944S2 that I've owned for a couple of years and finally have time to enjoy driving and working on it. I am going to tackle a few projects and would love some guidance from the community.

First, I have a hatch that is delaminating. I was able to purchase a good quality hatch from an earlier year and can't find instructions for how to remove the spoiler from my hatch, remove the spoiler on the earlier hatch and install my spoiler on the earlier hatch. Has anyone performed this swap?

Second, I want to upgrade the stereo and speakers and based on my search, it seems like changing the speakers is a bit of a pain since fitment of the door speakers is an issue and the rears are a pain to access. What is the recommended approach, upgrade the door speakers and leave the rears in place, have a stereo shop install the rears, or have a stereo shop do it all? Is there a particular speaker that is most recommended?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:40 PM
craigmakes321
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I just did the speakers n my s2, posted pic's and all. check the threads from the last few days. I left the ones in the rear alone, difficult to replace - did the doors after finding speakers that are close to fitting original space and drilling a few screw holes. It depends on how much of an audiophile you are, but they sound good to me for short money.
The following users liked this post:
bobinnova (08-19-2022)
Old 05-20-2019, 12:26 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sound deaden the doors with something like the Noico 50mil off amazon, then think of making either custom mounts for larger speakers (5 1/4" fits decently) or just running 4x6's that are shallow enough to clear the window and then get the KLA subbox for the rear. A pair of the new Mini amps to amp the front and sub will go a LONG way. Sound deaden the hatch area too, it makes a huge difference.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:00 PM
bobinnova
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, those are great suggestions.

Quick Reply: '91 S2 swapping spoiler to earlier hatch and speaker upgrade)