Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 & 944S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-and-944s-forum-78/)
-   -   89 S2- Replaced belts and misc suspect electrics, and now revs out of control. (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-and-944s-forum/1141255-89-s2-replaced-belts-and-misc-suspect-electrics-and-now-revs-out-of-control.html)

cjonesgo 05-02-2019 09:03 PM

89 S2- Replaced belts and misc suspect electrics, and now revs out of control.

Hello all. I’ve been on the board for a while and found it a terrific resource in fixing my 944, and general insight on these cars!
Thanks to everyone on the boards, and those who have created youtube vids on these cars. I am super grateful for all the shared knowledge out there!

I got the car back in January, and it had some immediate needs. It had almost no clutch left, and belts clearly needed to be done ASAP. I put the car up, and have taken my time in completing a bunch of work to get the car back on the road.
I got it all back together, and tried to start it up. Initially car would not start, and was not getting power to fuel pump. Tested pump would work with DME jumper, and pump got power (good!) and replaced with a new DME relay.
Car now starts, but revs out of control. Will not calm down to idle, just continues to spin up! I have to turn the key off.
The Tach is not working. I believe it was functional before (99% sure)

The car is the victim, of my getting to know it/being new to the 944, and doing a bunch of work all in one go, so not sure now where to begin diagnosis.
Suggestions on where to start looking?
Questions:
Does the Hall Sensor in the Distributor control the Tach?
What are symptoms of failed/disconnected speed sensor? Would this impact my crazy raving engine?

To date I have done:
Timing Belts / Water Pump + block temp sensor
Clutch +new shift linkage, short shift kit, shifter…
Misc maintenance- Air Filter, Spark Plugs, Distributor cap (rotor on back order, awaiting delivery)
Tons of unrelated work-Motor Mounts, Power Steering Pump Rebuild/hoses, Sunroof, Exterior Door handles, Misc interior repairs, sticker removal, general cleaning….

Removed a bunch of “ground effects,” under dash lighting, car stereo wiring from a removed sound system. Installed new stereo, and ensured no shorts from the cut wires remaining.

Suspect fuel switch. When I got it, there was a switching the dash controlling fuel pump power. This was wired in from below the fuse panel. I removed switch/wiring, and reconnected spliced wires back to original. DME relay was bad and not sending power to pump. Solution was to wire in a switch? New DME relay in there now.

New Speed Sensor- Gapped to 0.8mm (old socket crumbled in my hand on disconnecting)
New DME Relay (old seemed to function, but car would not start after all the various work)
Hall Sensor- Socket rebuild (old socket crumbled in my hand on disconnecting)

Any help or advise is appreciated.

cjonesgo 05-02-2019 09:04 PM

Woah, sorry for the weird post formatting. I'll try to fix....

Dan Martinic 05-03-2019 08:25 PM

Throttle sticking? Maybe something got in it while removing & installing intake?

If your reference sensors were bad, the car wouldn't start

Dwizle 05-05-2019 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by cjonesgo (Post 15814729)
Hello all. I’ve been on the board for a while and found it a terrific resource in fixing my 944, and general insight on these cars!
Thanks to everyone on the boards, and those who have created youtube vids on these cars. I am super grateful for all the shared knowledge out there!

I got the car back in January, and it had some immediate needs. It had almost no clutch left, and belts clearly needed to be done ASAP. I put the car up, and have taken my time in completing a bunch of work to get the car back on the road.
I got it all back together, and tried to start it up. Initially car would not start, and was not getting power to fuel pump. Tested pump would work with DME jumper, and pump got power (good!) and replaced with a new DME relay.
Car now starts, but revs out of control. Will not calm down to idle, just continues to spin up! I have to turn the key off.
The Tach is not working. I believe it was functional before (99% sure)

The car is the victim, of my getting to know it/being new to the 944, and doing a bunch of work all in one go, so not sure now where to begin diagnosis.
Suggestions on where to start looking?
Questions:
Does the Hall Sensor in the Distributor control the Tach?
What are symptoms of failed/disconnected speed sensor? Would this impact my crazy raving engine?

To date I have done:
Timing Belts / Water Pump + block temp sensor
Clutch +new shift linkage, short shift kit, shifter…
Misc maintenance- Air Filter, Spark Plugs, Distributor cap (rotor on back order, awaiting delivery)
Tons of unrelated work-Motor Mounts, Power Steering Pump Rebuild/hoses, Sunroof, Exterior Door handles, Misc interior repairs, sticker removal, general cleaning….

Removed a bunch of “ground effects,” under dash lighting, car stereo wiring from a removed sound system. Installed new stereo, and ensured no shorts from the cut wires remaining.

Suspect fuel switch. When I got it, there was a switching the dash controlling fuel pump power. This was wired in from below the fuse panel. I removed switch/wiring, and reconnected spliced wires back to original. DME relay was bad and not sending power to pump. Solution was to wire in a switch? New DME relay in there now.

New Speed Sensor- Gapped to 0.8mm (old socket crumbled in my hand on disconnecting)
New DME Relay (old seemed to function, but car would not start after all the various work)
Hall Sensor- Socket rebuild (old socket crumbled in my hand on disconnecting)

Any help or advise is appreciated.

Hey, check that Idle control valve is hooked up or not leaking behind it, also make sure if the car has cruise control that cable isn't kinked or it isn't engaging on its own..

cjonesgo 05-06-2019 01:43 AM

hmmmmmmm.... Cruise control in particular is a very interesting thought. Will have to investigate both. Thanks for the tips!

Mikes3.0cabturbo 05-14-2019 07:12 PM

big air leak, hose off, manifold leak, ISV....

Dwizle 05-21-2019 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mikes3.0cabturbo (Post 15840811)
big air leak, hose off, manifold leak, ISV....

Glad you got it fixed........