Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 & 944S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-and-944s-forum-78/)
-   -   Electrical issue: parking lights on when they shouldn’t be! (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-and-944s-forum/1140077-electrical-issue-parking-lights-on-when-they-shouldnit-be.html)

Chinto 04-24-2019 07:01 PM

Electrical issue: parking lights on when they shouldn’t be!

Hi everyone..
I’m gradually sorting through all my (944S) issues.. but I seem to have created a new one.
When ignition switch is on and/or car running my right side parking lights are on. Everything else works as it should.. all lights ok, both L and R parking lights turn on when car is off and turn signal stalk switched L or R.
A couple things I’ve discovered with troubleshooting:
- The parking lights will stay on even when I pull 7.5amp fuse for R side parking lights
- The lights go out when I pull 30amp fuse for wiper motor
- when ignition off and I turn signal stalk to R the parking lights do come on and the wipers are powered

So, I’m getting power between wiper and R side parking lights.. but where?
Based on my limited knowledge I assume the most likely places the wires could be in contact is in the steering column and fuse box.
I’ve pulled the fuse box out and wiggled the wires hoping to locate the short but no joy.. I pulled the steering wheel and did the same with the wires in the column with the same result.
My next step is a more in-depth look at the fuse box and/or open up the steering column switches a little more.

Any one with more knowledge of the system shed some light on where I should focus my attention.. or known issues? Or maybe something obvious I missed?

The problem only started a couple weeks ago... around the same time I was removing a defunct alarm system. I can’t say for sure they are related but can’t rule it out either.. just more info for troubleshooting.

Thanks!

Jay944 05-11-2019 03:44 AM

I had a similar issue. I found a short in the wiper/blinker unit on the steering column. Had a spare car and it to had melted in the same area. I just cut the wire that supplies 12v to the parking lights at the plug behind the dash. Not the best solution but I had smoke and melting. Don’t feel like re-wiring the whole car.

Jay

ElRicardo 05-13-2019 06:40 PM

I agree- the only places those two come into proximity is the steering column assembly- what looks like parking lights is actually your blinker “stuck” on s
due to a short in the assembly. It has crossed to the wiper.

Buy a new-for-you (aka “used”) signal/wiper assembly.

Install it (don’t forget the small locking screw underneath the dash trim right behind the wheel. It’s a little PITA to get at. Inspect your wires before installing the new one. Or better yet, inspect the wires and see if the problem is just before where the wiper stalk assembly connects. Good luck!

Chinto 11-29-2020 12:13 PM

Hey guys.. reviving my old thread because I still haven’t solved this.. just been living with it!
I did pull off the wiper/signal stalk assembly, disconnected it entirely, and I still had the issue (R side parking lights on whenever ignition switched on). So, I can only assume that the short is not in the assembly but somewhere else.. likely the fuse panel. I pulled the panel and tried wiggling/ pulling plugs but nothing obvious. Can anyone tell me where else the wiper wires are in close proximity to the R parking lights? It might still be the fuse panel but I’d like to eliminate the easier options before really pulling apart the panel.
Also.. (because the car had an alarm system) I’ve read that guys will mess with the parking light wiring to bridge them so they all blink with locking/unlocking. Anything I could investigate in that regard?
Thanks!

T&T Racing 11-29-2020 12:39 PM

Go to Pelican Parts electrical schematics and find the wire path from the +12v source to the RH parking light
Decide where it could be shorted to an active +12v source when the ignition switch is on but the parking light position of the switch is in its off position. Then take a volt/ohm meter to verify by piercing the +12v side with the probe and the other probe to ground to find the roque source of the +12v

GPA951s 11-30-2020 06:14 PM

FYI Just remember that these cars are wired to keep the left or right parking light on if the blinker is left on in that position while the ignition is turned off... This is Due to the small streets in Europe. When I lived in Germany I noticed that is was not uncommon to go down a street and see cars with one side lit up... I suspect that "latching" mechanisim is permanantly on..

Chinto 12-01-2020 12:22 AM

Thanks guys,
Yeah it’s definitely the R side parking lights and I’ve narrowed down the short to the wiper power.. but where exactly is the question. It’s got to be after the steering column / turn signal stalk as it stays on even when the column was totally disconnected... so I’m looking for areas where the R parking light wiring is alongside the wiper wiring. Does anyone know if they are in close contact after the main panel enroute to the right side of the car, or should I focus on the wiring from the switch to the panel under the dash? I’ve already done a lot if wiggling of the wire bundles with no hints as to where it’s shorting..