S2 Engine Check Light?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 02:27 PM
SecaBlue
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 35 Posts
Default S2 Engine Check Light?

Hi Guys,

Today I pulled out my instrument cluster to clean the football terminals, connectors, and replace the lightbulbs. All went well, however I noticed when looking at the rear of the cluster, there were three empty light bulb holes bottom left (under the voltmeter and oil pressure footballs). so I shined my torch through and it revealed red lettering "Engine Check". So I tried to put bulbs in the holes, but there was no power going to the holes (the ribbon circuits) at any of them... Wondering why this may be? I have an EU spec (German delivered) car, so maybe they deleted the electronics for this, or does another S2 owner out there have this lighting up at ignition on?

P.S. the clean went well with my fuel gauge now reading full and voltmeter reading 13v

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2019, 10:56 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Unfortunately, you did not state the year of your S2.

1991 was the beginning of upgraded Porsche electronics. The instrument panel is largely shared with the 928, and Porsche was preparing the release of the 968 in the following year. These vehicles had Check Engine lights that would have worked with the DME engine electronics.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:45 AM
SecaBlue
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2
Unfortunately, you did not state the year of your S2.

1991 was the beginning of upgraded Porsche electronics. The instrument panel is largely shared with the 928, and Porsche was preparing the release of the 968 in the following year. These vehicles had Check Engine lights that would have worked with the DME engine electronics.
Aha... I didn't know that. Mine is a MY90. I was going by THIS thread where he put the bulbs in on an '89, so thought the circuit may still be active but mine had a fault.

Quick Reply: S2 Engine Check Light?