944 S2 Speed and Reference Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 04:01 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 475 Posts
Default 944 S2 Speed and Reference Sensors

Hi there all-

I'm following the Pelican directions for clutch removal, to get to my rear main seal. In the directions they talk about removing the speed and reference sensors from the back of the engine, prior to removal of the transaxle, torque tube, etc.

My question is, does the S2 have both sensors? When I look near the back of the manifold, I only see a single wire/sensor. For what it's worth, it's plugged into a hole that has a "B" printed where the sensor goes in. Looking down from that sensor, a little lower toward the ground, there is an empty hole.

Is this correct? The Pelican DIY procedure is written up for 951s, so there's already some things that don't apply. Is one of those sensors specific to regulating the turbo, and thus not needed for the naturally aspirated engine?

Sorry for being such a noob, I just don't want to screw this up.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2019, 04:17 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

The 3.0 litre 968 only has the one sensor I believe so if you have the same motor, it's probably right. Kinda funny that the same bracket is there with an empty hole though
Old 03-17-2019, 06:47 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Thank you. I agree that there's just an empty hole but looking down there from above the engine, there's sooooo many empty holes it's crazy. Before owning this car I had no idea those components could be so exposed and still function well.

Cheers!
Old 03-17-2019, 10:55 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
Thank you. I agree that there's just an empty hole but looking down there from above the engine, there's sooooo many empty holes it's crazy. Before owning this car I had no idea those components could be so exposed and still function well.

Cheers!
For many years, before I had any reason to go back there and actually learn about that bellhousing area, I would routinely spray wash my engine compartment. Then, last winter my clutch throw-out bearing gave up: it turned out to be all corroded and seized. Did water run down into the clutch area and accelerate this? Who knows. But one thing's for sure: after changing all the clutch on this thing, I don't clean with water spray any more lol
Old 04-02-2019, 03:44 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
Hi there all-

I'm following the Pelican directions for clutch removal, to get to my rear main seal. In the directions they talk about removing the speed and reference sensors from the back of the engine, prior to removal of the transaxle, torque tube, etc.

My question is, does the S2 have both sensors?

Thanks
S2 has only 1 sensor.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:24 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I went to remove it and was trying hard to be mindful and take care with the thing, only to have the plastic housing for the plug disintegrate in my hand. FCPEuro to the rescue!

Quick Reply: 944 S2 Speed and Reference Sensors