Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 10:31 PM
Janco126
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche 944 Fuel Tank Drop

1986 Porsche 944 NA

Hey all,
Some quick backstory. This is my first Porsche, I have been working on this project for about 6 months now. I've been around cars but this is my first project car. I've used this forum a great deal and have learned a good amount via the threads. Unfortunately, I am having a difficult time removing the fuel tank from the car and couldn't find much on it. This car sat for sometime and the fuel system suffered a good amount. The car would start and run but had no acceleration. After diagnosing the issue, the fuel system came out to be the problem. I did the best I could cleaning the tank out, new fuel pump, fuel filter, flushed the fuel lines, injectors cleaned, fuel rail was completely rusted, so new rail, damper & regulator. I thought that would do the trick, so I hit the road and for what felt like 3 minutes and the car ran great, solid acceleration (until it didn't), I limped it home. Pulled the fuel rail, injectors were clogged again. Drained the fuel, pulled the fuel sender unit and it looked like I didn't even clean it. So, I decided to remove the tank. Odd enough I have found dropping the transmission easier than removing the fuel tank. I have been working it back and forth for a few hours trying to drop it but I keep getting hung up on the brackets on the sides of the frame. It started digging into the side of the tank so I stopped for now to prevent damage. Everywhere I read, seems to say just wiggle the tank, but there has to be something I am doing wrong. Has someone done this before and have tips or tricks to making this happen?

I have to include a car photo as well!

Thanks,
Joe
Old 03-10-2019, 04:34 PM
Janco126
7th Gear

I got it off. I pushed the tank up, then on the right side (passenger side) of the fuel tank towards the back of the tank, I wedged a crowbar and gently wiggled it back and forth, it fell about an inch, went to the driver side and pulled the back side of the tank down and it fell on me. Mission Accomplished.

- Joe
The following users liked this post:
87nine5one (06-12-2022)
Old 03-18-2019, 10:41 AM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 771 Likes on 543 Posts

Are you planning on replacing the tank (I don't even know if that's possible) or just cleaning it out? If you clean it out, I'd love to see what comes out. I'm working on my own gremlins in my new to me S2 but in the very (very, very) limited amount of driving I've done in the car there are also some things that don't seem quite right with the engine response. Granted, it could be a huge number of things but given the age of my car and the very tiny amount of insight I have into its history this will go into my mental Rolodex about what to explore if I can't sort out the engine response.

More pictures would be greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work and good luck!
Old 03-18-2019, 11:59 AM
Janco126
7th Gear

I’ll see if I can get you more pics. Since that post, I cleaned the tank out with a mild detergent and rinsed it out 4-5 times using a pressure washer. The tank has been sitting on my back porch airing out for about a week now. It had a good amount of old fuel debri and rust (photo), the rust was coming from my fuel sender unit (this model has a plastic tank) which was rusted past saving so I replaced it. I also removed the rubber fuel lines to the hard lines in the back, I bought a cheap fuel pump from amazon ($10) and I ran vinyl tubing from the rear hardline and again at the front hard line and used vinegar to flush out the hard lines, then followed up with water and then air dry using a compressor.

- Joe

Old 03-18-2019, 02:14 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 771 Likes on 543 Posts

Holy crap, that's crazy to see. I have decided to replace my fuel filter while I have everything in back disassembled but maybe you're on to something and replacing hoses is a good idea, while I have easy access. Did you source them from someplace specific or will a generic Google search find something suitable?

Cheers
Old 03-18-2019, 03:23 PM
Janco126
7th Gear

It’s hard to say if you will need to replace the rubber lines. Can you take a photo so we can see how they look? If the connectors are rusted past saving, replacement is the way to go. If the fittings are good, I’d say take them to a shop and have them put new rubber lines on. An alternative would be cutting the fitting with a dremel like this video.
the shop route cost more but is clean and of course you can always purchase the new lines. I’ve found them on a few shops online, but they do not come cheap. Just google “Porsche 944 fuel line replacement” and you should get some good results.

-Joe

Quick Reply: Porsche 944 Fuel Tank Drop