Can't shift into 1st, 2nd, 5th, or reverse

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 11:14 PM
mke4now
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't shift into 1st, 2nd, 5th, or reverse

1987 944 NA

Just swapped out my transaxle for a used one. It seems I cannot shift into 1st, 2nd, 5th, or reverse.

However, this strange:
With the relative shifting positions 1-5 & Reverse. 3rd and 4th seem to be in the right position and rpms, but when I downshift from 3rd to 2nd, the rpms drop almost like I'm going to a higher gear.

Also:
I can shift into the reverse position, but when I let the clutch out, I start moving forward.

Anyone have any idea that could help me?

Old 03-06-2019, 01:22 PM
mke4now
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Updated and detailed from original post:

1987 944 NA

Going to look at the shift linkage arm today. I believe it's possible that i reassembled it improperly (swapped some of the rubber washers from old TA shift linkage arm).... the original arm seemed very loose and have a lot of play everywhere, which seemed correct. Even if this new TA is an early model, I believe the shift linkage arms are all the same size and setup the same way?

One weird thing that also happened, is when I dropped the car down and starting tightening the lug nuts, the car seemed to move more than it should. I could push the car forward an inch or two more than it should before it would stop... not a hard stop, but like it would normally. This is with the car in the relative 1st gear position - which engages, but at a different rpm.

(See above post for more info: 3rd and 4th gear seem to be the only two gears I can correctly shift into - judging by the rpms I need to get it rolling from either position. I can shift into reverse position, but when I start releasing the clutch it will actually go forward. I'm not sure what gear (if any) I am shifting into where the 1st and 2nd gear positions should be, but I do know that downshifting from 3rd to 2nd position, the rpms drop down as if changing to a higher gear instead of lower. 5th gear I cannot shift into) (More details in original post)

- New lock nut (C) - This seemed fairly loose to allow movement... but is there a torque spec or a certain length I should tighten the bolt to?
- Bolt (B) - This bolt didn't seem to go all the way in flush. I cannot remember if it is suppose to... from the picture, it seems like it should stick out a bit.
- The arm piece between C and D that bolts into the TA case on the passenger side. For some reason, I was unable to screw the bolt in as far as it seemed it should go... Is there a certain torque for this? I assume it should have some play.

Going on 5 weeks on this project and going crazy! Any help would be great! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Can't shift into 1st, 2nd, 5th, or reverse