944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

1988 Porsche 944 Rescue

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 09:23 PM
subliminal
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1988 Porsche 944 Rescue

I just picked up my first 944 ever from an insurance auction, Its a Garnett Red 1988 944 N/A. Its going to be my daily driver once I get it all sorted out. First major thing on my list is the timing belt/water pump. The car appears to have been owned by a person who cared about it as the dash is wrapped in leather and the interior is pretty damn nice except for the cracked black leather seats and an airbag steering wheel which I do not believe is original. Car is running and driving and has cold A/C. It also has Koni Yellow shocks installed and an Ansa exhaust. The damage is pretty minor in my opinion and Im kinda shocked the insurance company totalled the car out for it, its a shame it will now have a rebuilt title for relatively minor damage. I have posted some photos of it at the auction before I brought it home and after I got it home and cleaned up, pretty excited about this new project. If the previous owner happens to be a member here feel free to message me.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:12 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Seats and airbag wheel are not original. The actual airbag is likely either not present or not hooked up to anything.

There is a remote possibility the car came with airbags, but it is highly unlikely as the option would equip both sides. The passenger side airbag "door" would've been upholstered over. (Option code 562 / 563 is for airbags). Option codes are in original maintenance book and under carpet trunk behind the license plate.

If the dash really is leather (not vinyl), that is aftermarket.

Damage isn't too bad. Also looks like the front bumper is pushed in a bit.

Looks nice!
Old 02-28-2019, 11:21 AM
subliminal
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Front bumper is not pushed in at all, probably just the lighting. The only real damage is the back tail light area and slightly on the rear quarter.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:46 PM
benthere
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good,rescued a 87 myself

Quick Reply: 1988 Porsche 944 Rescue