944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Power Steering Fluid Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 09:34 AM
WC944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid Replacement

I recently had my rack and pinion replaced on my 1984 NA 944. I had recommended to the shop to use Dexron 3 as a replacement. Alas, the shop used Valvoline 80w90 gear oil they said because it was a good substitute. I am concerned about this and expressed that concern to the shop. Is this valvoline a good substitute for Dexron. My guess is that it is not. He says he will drain the gear oil if requested and replace it with whatever I want. That's great!, But, what are the current best suggestions for power steering fluid. TIA
Old 02-22-2019, 11:28 AM
indes
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got plans to flush mine in the spring and had similar concerns about what fluid to use; The manual says Dexron II, Dexron III.
Found a TSB dated June 11 1996 about switching some of the other models (911s) switching from Dexron to CHF202 (Previously CHF11S). Didn't seem to apply to the 944 though but I also didn't check if they're both ZF steering racks with the same seals / part numbers / etc. (If they are -- (let me know) -- you can probably swap fluids without a problem to CHF and it won't eat at the seals so aggressively like Dexron does. DO NOT MIX THEM.)

I decided to go with Dexron III(K) to be on the safe side (i.e. whatever is already in there) until I do more research on the rack/seals.
The official Dexron literature states, Dexron III and II are fluid compatible for intermix. Dexron IV or higher is not.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:39 PM
WC944
Intermediate

Indes, thanks foryour note. When I started my car this morning, with the gear oil in the PS, it was much harder to turn than usual, and was groaning a good bit. That all got better as the car warmed up, but I just hope that the mechanic will do a good flush.

I am not having any luck finding Dexron III. I checked at www.oilspecifications.org and put Dexron III in to find a compatible. It suggests that Castrol Transmax Z would be good and some others. I was able to find the Valvoline ATF Dex/Merc that they also say would a good fit. So, unless anyone objects, that is what will be put in later this afternoon.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

WC
Old 02-22-2019, 12:55 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by WC944
I recently had my rack and pinion replaced on my 1984 NA 944. I had recommended to the shop to use Dexron 3 as a replacement. Alas, the shop used Valvoline 80w90 gear oil they said because it was a good substitute. I am concerned about this and expressed that concern to the shop. Is this valvoline a good substitute for Dexron. My guess is that it is not. He says he will drain the gear oil if requested and replace it with whatever I want. That's great!, But, what are the current best suggestions for power steering fluid. TIA

How in the world could Dexron transmission oil be compatible with 80w90 gear oil is a big screwup. Gear oil is thick and syrupy and even if drained and refilled with the proper oil will not be a solution because the system already is contaminated. Some shops are just clueless and dangerous.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:58 PM
indes
Advanced

You can't find it?!? I can't really recommend one over the other, quite yet....
ACDelco 10-9240 Professional Type III (H)
Amalie (160-72836-56 DEXRON III-H)
Motul 105776 Dexron III

These state Mercon compatibility, but it's supposedly interchangeable with Dexron -- of course, the Dexron literature doesn't say as much, obviously.

Pennzoil 550042065 Dex/Merc ATF (Dexron-III
Wolfs Head DX III-H/M ATF
Kendall 1052866 Classic ATF Automatic Transmission Fluid (Dex III)
Castrol 03520C TRANSMAX DEX/MERC ATF (Dex III H, II E, II)

Ideally you could find at least one of these that meets spec, where your 80w90 doesn't. (is it cold in Chicago today? That may explain the stiffness..)

Edit: Also now can't find the Dex III-K I had planned to buy. BUMMER!
Old 02-22-2019, 01:15 PM
Spring44
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

That guy is an idiot. He put differential grease in your PS system. I'm surprised that the pump will turn at all. Pumping that stuff through your system will soon cause seal failure in your rack. He needs to drain that whole system and flush it 2-3 times with fresh Dextron to remove as much of that grease as possible and hope that he didn't ruin it. He also needs to give you a new fluid reservoir because that gear oil may have plugged the PS fluid filter that is built into it.
The proper fluid is Dextron lll and many companies make it. Just replaced my rack and used fluid by Valvoline.
Good Luck!
Old 02-22-2019, 04:18 PM
WC944
Intermediate

Thanks for everyone's input. The 944 now has Valvoline ATF Dex/Merc in it as that is what I could find locally, and I wanted to get the gear oil out ASAP. I only ran it about 2 miles with the gear oil in it, home and back to the shop. He did pull the gear oil out, a bit of a flush, and put in the Valvoline Dex/Merc. I'll get hold of the Dex III soon and have it flushed out again...if possible, tomorrow. Thanks again for the input. I can only hope that not too much has been compromised. Time will tell.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:26 PM
indes
Advanced

Originally Posted by WC944
Valvoline ATF Dex/Merc
https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publi...2-ac162d889bd1
Says meets Dexron III. You should be better now.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:39 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

Spring44 has it right, what a lazy tool. You should find a new shop or start doing your own work if you have the room, tools and ability.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:07 AM
WC944
Intermediate

mj951, I couldn't agree more. I won't be going back to that shop ever. I couldn't have been more explicit in requesting the shop put in Dexron III, and discussed the color with him as well. The only half smart thing I did was to request to see the empty bottles of Dexron III so I could match the brand. That's when he produced the gear oil container...stating "the parts guy said this was a good substitute for Dexron III." If I hadn't asked to see the bottles, I might not have caught the fluid swap for a bit, as I was trusting that he would have used the right fluid. Of course, I was shocked when he showed me the gear oil container and proud of myself for not strangling him at that moment. It was beyond my imagination that he could have done this, but now I see my imagination wasn't up to the stupidity that is evidently out there.

I'm learning to work on the 944 myself with all the help offered here (after not being under a car in 40 years),and have done the water pump, timing and balance belts and some other odds and ends. Had it been warmer weather, I would have done it myself. I can definitely see why working on the car yourself is a huge plus and plan to do the work I can from now on. And, I'm sure to have many more questions in the future.

Within the next couple of weeks I hope to do flush it myself and put in a straight Dexron III, getting rid of the Vavoline Dex/Merc that is in there now though it is likely that any damage from the gear oil has been done, so. Even so, I can't see how it will hurt to flush again. I'll switch out the reservoir tank as well at that time. This is not a DD so likely to put just 5-10 miles on this car before doing this second flush.

If damage is already done and I find it leaking in the near future, I will do the swap myself...as I won't be going back there ever, warranty or not. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:57 PM
blakedpotato
Track Day

Default Power Steering Fluid Replacement

Page 48-12 of the factory service manual says "...top up with ATF-DEXRON II D."
The only product I have found that expressly says that it is ATF-DEXRON II D compatible is Febi 08971

Indes provided a great list of Dexron III available options earlier. I have also found people who like Pentosin, although I was unable to locate which product is Dexron II/III compatible.

I am personally leaning towards the Febi 08971. To date, I have found it at the following sites:
AutohausAZ $8.93 ($18.10 with S&H + tax)
FCP Euro $8.05 ($13.04 with S&H + tax)
Amazon $15.01 w/ free shipping
Old 08-26-2019, 10:19 AM
FCP Euro
Former Vendor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Red Line D4 ATF would also be acceptable since they recommend it in applications requiring Dexron II or Dexron III.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid Replacement