Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

What should i pay to get this beauty? (Restoration project)

Old 02-22-2019, 12:19 AM
Nellyt944
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should i pay to get this beauty? (Restoration project)

So i live in central Indiana and one day i was out and about and i saw an abandoned car lot with a porsche sitting in it. I stopped by to have a look and it turned out to be a 944 in desperate need of a full rescue! I did some research on getting cars off abandoned lots and realized its way harder than I anticipated.
About a week ago however i came back to that lot and there were people there! It turns out that the buy-here-pay-here down the road bought it off. So naturally i asked the new owner what he wanted for it. He said with a straight face "ill sell it for $3500." This is where my dilemma falls.
It is in horrific conditions. The stock shifter has not only lost its s boot but also any spring into neutral, the seats are toorn to shreds, there are miscellaneous parts and junk in the back seats. And when we tried to start it, the poor thing barely ran for more than a few seconds.
The owner swears that he had a guy and his son drive it for nearly an hour. (Note the driver side door is stuck closed so one of them had to climb over the center console like I did so this is hard to imagine) so if anyone has a figure and some negotiating tips i could use it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:58 AM
Spring44
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Tell him that the fact that it used to run doesn't really matter. All cars used to run at some point in their life, but this one doesn't run now and that is all that you see. What he has is a parts car, worth about $5-700 in its current condition.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:25 AM
Nellyt944
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Spring44
Tell him that the fact that it used to run doesn't really matter. All cars used to run at some point in their life, but this one doesn't run now and that is all that you see. What he has is a parts car, worth about $5-700 in its current condition.
Thats around the number I was thinking but im afraid hes going to think im trying to low ball him. Im hoping i can talk him down that far.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:13 AM
Spring44
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Nellyt944
Thats around the number I was thinking but im afraid hes going to think im trying to low ball him. Im hoping i can talk him down that far.
Give him that offer and then let him counter offer. It at least lets him know that you aren't going to settle for him just knocking off a few hundred bucks. Then, if you can get to a price that you can live with, buy it. The engine might be ok with some parts and labor, but right now you only know that it won't run. Good Luck!
Old 02-22-2019, 07:22 AM
Nellyt944
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Spring44
Give him that offer and then let him counter offer. It at least lets him know that you aren't going to settle for him just knocking off a few hundred bucks. Then, if you can get to a price that you can live with, buy it. The engine might be ok with some parts and labor, but right now you only know that it won't run. Good Luck!
thank you! This actually helps alot and ill save up after a few paychecks and hope he will take my offer. Im really hoping that its not horrible because this will be my first restoration i make an attempt at and from what ive gathered is that parts ar not hard to come by so I should be lucky.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What should i pay to get this beauty? (Restoration project)