944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

84 944 Volvo 240 Calipers

Old 02-18-2019, 08:46 PM
JRGPorsche
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 84 944 Volvo 240 Calipers

Hello all,
This is my first post. Im an avid Porsche fan and just picked up my first Porsche project an 84 944. Goal is to turn it into a track car with some occasional street driving. To keep costs low for tires and such I plan on staying with the 15" wheels. With that said I want to upgrade to the volvo 240 calipers(otherwise I would do the Wilwood Upgrade ), my only question is currently the ABS option is not available for the drivers side. So would I be able to use the non-abs option and just plug one of the holes? Any advice would be great!
Old 02-18-2019, 09:23 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

No, the dual circuit caliper won't work.
Leave the brakes alone. 100s of 944spec racers have zero issues with the brakes. Drive the car, get to know the car, fix the stuff that's really broken. A year from now if you're unsatisfied with the brakes, come back.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:27 PM
JRGPorsche
2nd Gear

Ok, Wasn't sure. Thank you.
My only issue is this car sat for 13 years and I am working on bringing it back to life. After inspection on the brake system the front calipers are shot. So I figured do the work once and just dive into an upgrade now.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:43 AM
Spring44
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JRGPorsche
Hello all,
This is my first post. Im an avid Porsche fan and just picked up my first Porsche project an 84 944. Goal is to turn it into a track car with some occasional street driving. To keep costs low for tires and such I plan on staying with the 15" wheels. With that said I want to upgrade to the volvo 240 calipers(otherwise I would do the Wilwood Upgrade ), my only question is currently the ABS option is not available for the drivers side. So would I be able to use the non-abs option and just plug one of the holes? Any advice would be great!
If you want single port Volvo calipers get the Girling units, not the Ate's. The Girlings only have one port. I have a set for my Opel GT.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:34 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

years ago we hashed out the details of this "upgrade" and found that the Volvo calipers actually have slightly less piston area clamping on the pads than the stock NA fatty single-piston.
don't recall the pad size difference though.

its worth keeping in mind for the inevitable day when 944 calipers can no longer be rebuilt...they built ~20x as many Volvo 200's as 944s...
Old 02-19-2019, 06:06 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

First thing you should be doing is throwing the front spindles in the trash, and replacing them with a later, solid pair.

On the early cars the left spindle is hollow for the speedo drive. May as well be made of balsa wood.

You'll lose the speedo, but can easily be replaced with GPS-based unit.

Stock brakes are quite good with proper pads.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:34 PM
Roy Patterson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
First thing you should be doing is throwing the front spindles in the trash, and replacing them with a later, solid pair.

On the early cars the left spindle is hollow for the speedo drive. May as well be made of balsa wood.

You'll lose the speedo, but can easily be replaced with GPS-based unit.

Stock brakes are quite good with proper pads.
Tells you to upgrade but not how or offer links or well nothin, Thanks A Lot
Old 07-22-2021, 10:37 AM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, Wasn't sure. Thank you.
My only issue is this car sat for 13 years and I am working on bringing it back to life. After inspection on the brake system the front calipers are shot. So I figured do the work once and just dive into an upgrade now.
That's the main reason I swapped to the Volvo calipers on mine. It was much easier to buy new calipers than to hope rebuilding the old rusted stock ones would work. My rear calipers were fine, but the bores on the fronts were badly pitted, so a rebuild probably wouldn't have helped there. I didn't notice a huge difference in braking performance from one to the other, but the Volvo calipers definitely look nicer at least.
The following users liked this post:
Dwizle (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 03:18 PM
Dwizle
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt R
No, the dual circuit caliper won't work.
Leave the brakes alone. 100s of 944spec racers have zero issues with the brakes. Drive the car, get to know the car, fix the stuff that's really broken. A year from now if you're unsatisfied with the brakes, come back.
They will work just takes some extra plumbing to make it work
The following 2 users liked this post by Dwizle:
Autobreza (05-24-2022), Tiger03447 (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 11:34 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts
Talking

I went through this "drill" earlier this year. The rt frontt Volvo caliper is easy to get. they are the Girling single port (ABS) units. Most of the Volvos from this era have gone to the crusher. The left front is made of unobtanium. then the best bet, if you find a pair, send them off to have them totally rebuilt. You can do the same with the front Porsche units..The hydraulic unit for the front Porsche units is easy to get from your Friendly Local Auto Parts Store (FLAPS). That's the easy way to do it along with the hardware kit..You will have to have custom brake lines fabricated to get the Volvo calipers to work. Save yourself the headache..or Go to Wildwoods if you have the cash. Rock Auto (StopTech) has great rotors for the front at a decent price..just to get it rolling. BTDT and got the Tee shirt.
BTW WELCOME TO THE FORUM!! Hang on buddy it's a wild ride!

Last edited by Tiger03447; 07-25-2021 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 05-23-2022, 02:44 PM
LoLo944
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello all,
Did you go with the Volvo 240 or wildwood? Any update on your project? I'm new to the forum would like to know how well the calipers ride. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 84 944 Volvo 240 Calipers