Tinny rattle from header panel above the Sunvisors. - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

Tinny rattle from header panel above the Sunvisors.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:34 PM
aerovette99
User

Default Tinny rattle from header panel above the Sunvisors.

When I accelerate or just drive normally, I get this Tinny rattle from header panel above the sunvisors. I removed the visors and the header trim and it sounds like it is coming from inside the metal area behind the header panel where the visors bolt up to the header frame. It appears to make the noise above and to the left of the rear view mirror area. That area is enclosed metal and only has a few holes in it..The rattling noise is just above the windshield in that metal area. I do not see any damage to anything near that area. The photos below are in the area of where the noise is. I put the header trim back up, but it makes noise with or without the header. I removed everything I can think of, as well as all screws, but I cannot figure what is causing the noise. I guess I could take a flexible snake and fish it through one of the visor holes, but I'm at a loss. I cannot think of what could be in that enclosed area.

Right behind this panel

Somewhere in this area between my fingers
Old 01-23-2019, 11:55 PM
PaulD_944S2
User

BTDT. Fish a magnet thoroughly in the inside cavity area and see if you can find the loose nut.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:33 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

i had a crazy noise which turned out to be (somehow) the wind deflector thing that goes up when the sunroof panel is removed.
like a booming rattling sound.
removed the part and no more noise, couldn't figure out what was happening though.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:57 PM
aerovette99
User

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2 View Post
BTDT. Fish a magnet thoroughly in the inside cavity area and see if you can find the loose nut.
So I used a thin 36" telescoping magnet and reached it in the cowl area, and there is nothing up there. I spent a good hour going from side to side, up and down, and back and forth and found nothing up there but the wire harness for the light. I drove down the road with the trim off, and when it started making that tinny raquet, I reached my hand in there (sounds like it's coming from the area between the hole with the light and the other hole to the left of the light. I stopped, put my hand in the 2 holes and found only that hard wiring harness. Not a thing is up there. That rattle is LOUD also. This is crazy. I almost want to take a can of insulation, and spray it in there so it expands, but that would probably make a mess. Maybe I should stuff some foam or something in there....

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: