Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Tinny rattle from header panel above the Sunvisors.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:34 PM
aerovette99
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinny rattle from header panel above the Sunvisors.

When I accelerate or just drive normally, I get this Tinny rattle from header panel above the sunvisors. I removed the visors and the header trim and it sounds like it is coming from inside the metal area behind the header panel where the visors bolt up to the header frame. It appears to make the noise above and to the left of the rear view mirror area. That area is enclosed metal and only has a few holes in it..The rattling noise is just above the windshield in that metal area. I do not see any damage to anything near that area. The photos below are in the area of where the noise is. I put the header trim back up, but it makes noise with or without the header. I removed everything I can think of, as well as all screws, but I cannot figure what is causing the noise. I guess I could take a flexible snake and fish it through one of the visor holes, but I'm at a loss. I cannot think of what could be in that enclosed area.

Right behind this panel

Somewhere in this area between my fingers
Old 01-23-2019, 10:55 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

BTDT. Fish a magnet thoroughly in the inside cavity area and see if you can find the loose nut.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:33 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

i had a crazy noise which turned out to be (somehow) the wind deflector thing that goes up when the sunroof panel is removed.
like a booming rattling sound.
removed the part and no more noise, couldn't figure out what was happening though.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:57 PM
aerovette99
AutoX

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2
BTDT. Fish a magnet thoroughly in the inside cavity area and see if you can find the loose nut.
So I used a thin 36" telescoping magnet and reached it in the cowl area, and there is nothing up there. I spent a good hour going from side to side, up and down, and back and forth and found nothing up there but the wire harness for the light. I drove down the road with the trim off, and when it started making that tinny raquet, I reached my hand in there (sounds like it's coming from the area between the hole with the light and the other hole to the left of the light. I stopped, put my hand in the 2 holes and found only that hard wiring harness. Not a thing is up there. That rattle is LOUD also. This is crazy. I almost want to take a can of insulation, and spray it in there so it expands, but that would probably make a mess. Maybe I should stuff some foam or something in there....
Old 02-28-2019, 11:22 AM
aerovette99
AutoX

This noise is strange. There is nothing loose in the top area, nor anything rattling around inside the header. Can the weatherstrip, or whatever it is at the top of the windshield on the OUTSIDE cause a wicked noise slapping up against the windshield? It only happens at speeds above 45 and the rubber piece is loose at the top center of the windshield...
Old 02-28-2019, 09:15 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by aerovette99
This noise is strange. There is nothing loose in the top area, nor anything rattling around inside the header. Can the weatherstrip, or whatever it is at the top of the windshield on the OUTSIDE cause a wicked noise slapping up against the windshield? It only happens at speeds above 45 and the rubber piece is loose at the top center of the windshield...
You found your noise. For half a year, I had that same issue. Then one day while washing my car, I discovered my windshield surround was loose in parts: I could flick it up here and there. Every now and then, depending on the wind direction and speed of my travel (ie. highway), I'd get this loud rattle that sounded like it was inside. I used silicone to keep that surround in its groove and the noise has not returned.

I'm 99% certain you have the same issue. Fixing it with silicone, though, may not be the best idea: a recent thread goes on about the problems of trying to adhere something after silicone has been in contact. Given that I will likely replace that surround, I may have a problem, or not; not sure if the new one will use some adhesive or just push in. Oops
Old 03-01-2019, 01:32 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

You can use 3M 08008 Weatherstrip adhesive to secure the windshield rubber surround without contaminating the work area with silicone.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08008-Black-Weatherstrip-Adhesive/dp/B00063X38M/ref=sr_1_2?crid=DF6G9MGAO9FL&keywords=3m%2Bweatherstrip%2Badhesive%2Bblack&qid=1551461497&s=gateway&sprefix=3m%2Bwe%2Caps%2C208&sr=8-2&th=1&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/3M-08008-Black-Weatherstrip-Adhesive/dp/B00063X38M/ref=sr_1_2?crid=DF6G9MGAO9FL&keywords=3m%2Bweatherstrip%2Badhesive%2Bblack&qid=1551461497&s=gateway&sprefix=3m%2Bwe%2Caps%2C208&sr=8-2&th=1&psc=1

Had the same problem years ago on a Chevy Astro van windshield, 3M works great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tinny rattle from header panel above the Sunvisors.