1984 Porsche 944 New Owner Help - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

1984 Porsche 944 New Owner Help

Old 01-03-2019, 04:21 AM
griffin.wright
User

Default 1984 Porsche 944 New Owner Help

Hello everybody. Recently I have purchased a 1984 Porsche 944 as a project car in rather terrible condition (pictures attached) and through my searching google for answers to questions, I came across rennlist so I made an account. Hopefully people here can help me out. My car has sat outside for multiple years with a busted in windshield so the interior is ruined. It also has a terrible rattle can paint job, and many jerry rigged items. I am wondering what peoples preferred place to purchase well priced parts from. I have many that I know I need right now and many more I am sure I will need in the future. but my main issue currently is the ignition. when I plug in a battery, the gauges light up and the tail lights and blinkers work if I turn on the hazard lights, but the key does not work in the ignition. I am not sure if it is the wrong key as this one works in the trunk but not the ignition or doors but the locks could also be seized. is there a way to easily Hotwire the ignition and what is required to be connected for the engine to start up. Also I have been searching but have not found a digital owners manual for my year of 944 (1984), if anyone has a pdf version of it I would love it. Also I am wondering where I can get clear front marker lights from, I have seen some online but have not found where to buy them. Thanks for the help in advance everybody here! If I am doing anything wrong here, please let me know.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:58 AM
Neufcatcat
User

Not here to **** on your project, but unless you want to spend 2-3 times the dollars value of the car itself (when restored) , wisdom would be to part it out and this way you will hopefully recovered what you pay for... (which should be less than 500$).

Nothing is more expensive than a cheap Porsche (DAMHIK).. Good luck with whatever route you chose to take.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:52 PM
griffin.wright
User

My current plan is to strip out the whole interior, take out the engine, and all stuff I don't need and drop a LS into it, and build a custom minimalist interior with aluminum door panels, dash, etc. the body doesn't have any rust that I have found yet, so I am hopeful.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:01 PM
Neufcatcat
User

Originally Posted by griffin.wright View Post
My current plan is to strip out the whole interior, take out the engine, and all stuff I don't need and drop a LS into it, and build a custom minimalist interior with aluminum door panels, dash, etc. the body doesn't have any rust that I have found yet, so I am hopeful.
If that’s the plan, then you a good base for it! Good luck and feel free to show the progress. Great community in here and very eager to help! Ü
Old 01-03-2019, 03:03 PM
griffin.wright
User

thanks! I'm also going to try to do almost all of it by myself, except paint work so hopefully I dont spend too much on it. Ill definitely share my progress periodically.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:40 PM
finally!
User

so, why interested in clear lenses then?
Old 01-04-2019, 05:02 PM
griffin.wright
User

Originally Posted by finally! View Post
so, why interested in clear lenses then?
I thought they looked pretty cool, and better than the stock ones so I would like to incorporate them into the car. Would you happen to know where I can get them?
Old 01-04-2019, 05:24 PM
finally!
User

Originally Posted by griffin.wright View Post
I thought they looked pretty cool, and better than the stock ones so I would like to incorporate them into the car. Would you happen to know where I can get them?
Sorry, no - seems they are NLA
Gotta tell you though, after having hunted for a good while and been through more than a few other "fun" cars, you are MUCH better off getting a cheap roller (can probably find for around $1500 or so) or one that runs (maybe if barely) for a little more than you are trying to make that thing driveable.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:38 PM
griffin.wright
User

Originally Posted by finally! View Post
Sorry, no - seems they are NLA
Gotta tell you though, after having hunted for a good while and been through more than a few other "fun" cars, you are MUCH better off getting a cheap roller (can probably find for around $1500 or so) or one that runs (maybe if barely) for a little more than you are trying to make that thing driveable.
I would agree if I was planning on restoring this to stock specs or slightly modified, but my plans for this car are to strip everything out, Put In a LS v8 engine, custom make aluminum panels for the interior, etc. So this being a surprisingly rust-less body, I think it is a pretty good base for this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: