944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

83 944 fuel filling issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 09:53 AM
Rocketohw
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 944 fuel filling issues

Hello all, I am new to the group. I bought an 83 944 that runs well want to restore and tinker with my sons. I cant seem to put gas in it. When I do try to fill, is cuts off the pump and splashes back out of tube. Please help. Any ideas would be great. I have checked the charcoal canister. Not clogged.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:15 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts
Talking

Interesting.I also have an 83 and have TOTALLY gone through the fuel system. In the rear of the car on the inside, opposite where the fuel filler is located, take off the upholstry and the inner metal shield.Held in with screws. There is a snap ring on the outer side (near the cap) that retains the rubber boot. You will see a large aluminum tube with several hoses running from it. This goes into a rubber hose that clamps to the neck of the tank. Check for obstructions. There may be a mouse nest involved if the car hasn't been driven in a long time...( Those buggers can get into everything). LOL.Have you pulled the bottom filter unit from the tank? Might be a lot of debris in there. If you have to go further into the operation, it can get involved..The tank is all steel and soldered. They are also prone to cracking on the top (or so I've been told). See posts about this from Elgy. Perhaps the hose has become deteriorated and is partially blocking the fuel filler neck. There is a hose running behind the fuel filler tube that leads from the drain in the rubber boot to outside the car in the right rear cubby. There are two expansion chambers in the fuel line. One, up in the door post, and another on top of the tank. You'll have to drop the tank to check this one out. There is another line, running from the filler tube that has a check valve in it that ultimately runs to the charcoal canister. The check valve is plastic and looks like a GM fuel filter. You may also be forced to remove the R rear quarter window to get to all this stuff. It pops right out with the seal still attached. Good luck and good hunting!! BTW if you want to go toatally bonkers check out the exploded view in the PET (parts manual). You can get the CD for about 20-30 bucks.. $$ totally well spent..AND you also want to get the CD for the Work Shop Manual (WSM).. You'll need it..

Last edited by Tiger03447; 12-30-2018 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Additional comment
Old 12-31-2018, 10:58 AM
Rocketohw
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is all awesome info. Thank you so much. I will start tearing into it and report back to you. Thanks again
Old 12-31-2018, 04:51 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Default Fuel tank

I'm not sure about this, but you may have to drop the transaxle unit out first. Mine was already out of the car when I pulled the tank out. Last out-first in...Now for the rear suspension assembly, then the transaxle and hookup to the Torque Tube. A Haynes manual may get you by for a quick and dirty...and it helps as an adjunct.. Good luck! BTW, you'll also have to lift up the RRear carpet to get to the fuel sender and it's wires if you decide to drop the tank..Just a hint...Happy New Year!!

Old 01-12-2019, 11:23 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Dear Rocketohw: How's the fuel issue going? did you resolve it? Just wondering...Hope that it went well for you.

Quick Reply: 83 944 fuel filling issues