Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 & 944S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-and-944s-forum-78/)
-   -   Looking to get into 944 Ownership (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-and-944s-forum/1119928-looking-to-get-into-944-ownership.html)

Jason1985 12-21-2018 06:53 PM

Looking to get into 944 Ownership

So I have decided to start looking at some 944's in my area (Detroit, MI area) and have a few viewings set up for this weekend (Sunday Dec 23) and next weekend (Sat Dec 29). I am a former master mechanic and a current electrical engineer, so while I am not really familiar with Porsche's at all, I have the ability / resources to perform just about any repair. Not too interested in doing my own paint / body work but I wouldn't be opposed to pulling and restoring a cracked dash, split seats, or other common interior issues. So what aesthetic issues that any +30 year old vehicle would have should I look past and be on the look out for? I'm limiting my search to what I want: +85.5 MY, guards red, phone dial wheels, non-turbo and (HAS TO BE) 5-speed versions, This means so far my search has only returned results about 4 hours from home. That means either towing it home or risking a 4 hour drive :). I'll have to go on the faith of the seller that the clutch, timing belt, etc. has been replaced (with or without receipts) if the vehicle seems decent enough to risk the drive. Also anyone know of some vehicles in my area I should be looking at? Not looking to win first prize at the concours, just something decent I wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen in for ~$6k max.

Well enough from me. I look forward to your responses.

-Jason

Nashvegas 12-22-2018 05:53 PM

I made this list when I was searching for my car a few years ago. I ended up with a 39K mile 86 951.

----

THINGS TO CHECK FOR when buying porsche 944 Turbo

UNDERNEATH
Chk for leaks underneath / esp trans and trans oil cooler
Power steering leaking? - chk driver side anti roll bar for swelling which indicates leaking fluid
Ripped boots on steering
Chk rear driveshaft boots for leaking grease or ripping / tears

PAINT
Chk under each wheelwell. If original Porsche applied a texture under each wheelwell and under car, if it's smooth likely has been redone, repainted, etc

UNDERHOOD
Chk for coolant in oil / oil cooler seals
Battery in engine compartment pass side
Headlights open / close properly ?
Remove battery and look for rust or perforation under battery

INSIDE:
Dash Cracks (even small ones on the defroster holes)
Warning lights when starting car — what should illuminate though = chk central warning light, seat belt light
Sunroof - opens / closes - no clicking ?
Windshields cracked - it's very expensive
Broken center console hinge
Front windows not too slow

HVAC:
Run through all the settings for the electronically controlled heating system and make sure it works as it should. Check that warm air is directed correctly and, when you press the demist button, that the fan goes to full power and that all hot air is directed at the full width of the windscreen.
Chk AC

TRUNK:
Is sunroof bag there?
Trunk - pull carpet look for build sticker with options

DRIVE:

Start from cold
Clutch w/ rubber damper - lots of backlash ?
shift light ? (note my 86 did not have this?)
The other important idle test is oil pressure. Expect to see between 2-5bar. When the car is cold, 4.5-5bar pressure is fantastic. After it warms up, the oil pressure can get down into the middle 2 bar range, but much lower is a warning sign.

Key for alarm (pics of keys?) if installed
rock chips up front / repaint on bumper chk
service receipts - water pump, timing belt, steering rack (looks likes maybe so since reservoir replaced w/ black one)
Fuel lines on fuel rail - go across manifold
AC? works ?
clutch in service history - original or replaced?
chk delaminated rear glass (top edge... the black paint peels off then the glass delaminates, the black paint peeling does not necessarily indicate delamination yet but is an indicator)
dash cracks
tailpipe and exhaust original
jack, spare, pump, tool roll also in trunk

Jason1985 12-23-2018 12:37 AM

Wow that's a pretty low mileage example you ended up with.

Well thanks for the pointers. Sounds like some pretty common sense stuff with some specifics. Thanks again Nash.